All-SPHL Second Team Announced
March 27, 2012 - Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) News Release
CHARLOTTE, NC - The Southern Professional Hockey League on Tuesday announced its 2011-2012 All-SPHL Second Team as selected in a vote of SPHL coaches and media representatives.
2011-2012 All-SPHL Second Team
F - Matt Auffrey, Augusta RiverHawks (56 gp, 22-41-63, 127 pim, +16, 15 ppa)
F - Chris Wilson, Pensacola Ice Flyers (47 gp, 30-25-55, 11 ppg)
F - Jason Hill, Louisiana IceGators (48 gp, 17-59-76, 27 ppa, 76 pim)
D - Bret Tyler, Columbus Cottonmouths (55 gp, 6-40-46, 27 ppa)
D - Ricky Helmbrecht, Knoxville Ice Bears (53 gp, 14-19-33, 3 gwg)
G - Kiefer Smiley, Mississippi Surge (19-10-2, 2.49 gaa, .907 save%, 2 shutouts)
Matt Auffrey of the Augusta RiverHawks ranked fifth in the SPHL in points (63) assists (41) and power play assists (15) this season. Auffrey was also second on the team with four game-winning goals, third with six power play goals and fourth in penalty minutes (127).
Chris Wilson of the Pensacola Ice Flyers ranked second in the SPHL with 11 power play goals and fourth in goals (30) despite only playing 47 games. Wilson's 55 points were eight-most in the league this season while his 70 penalty minutes were third-most for the Ice Flyers.
Jason Hill of the Louisiana IceGators tied for the SPHL lead with 27 power play assists, was second in the league with 59 assists while his 76 points ranked third, despite only playing 48 games. Hill's 76 penalty minutes were also second-most for the IceGators.
Bret Tyler of the Columbus Cottonmouths finished tied for the league lead with 27 power play assists, was second among all defensemen with 40 assists, while his 46 points were third-most by a blueliner.
Ricky Helmbrecht of the Knoxville Ice Bears tied for first among all defensemen with three game-winning goals, while his 14 goals were tied for second-most. Helmbrecht recorded 33 points, which was fifth-best among defensemen.
Kiefer Smiley of the Mississippi Surge led the SPHL with a 2.49 goals against average, while his 19 wins were second-most in the league. Also named to the All-Rookie Team, Smiley finished tied for second among all goaltenders with two shutouts and tied for third in save percentage (.907), while his minutes played (1858:21) were fourth-best.
The All-SPHL First Team will be announced later today.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from March 27, 2012
- Cottonmouths Bite IceGators in Opening Playoff Game - Louisiana IceGators
- RiverKings Take Part in Desoto County Junior Auxiliary's "Healthy Today, Healthy Tomorrow" Fair - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverHawks' Gehring, Snetsinger Named First Team All-Stars - Augusta RiverHawks
- Ice Bears Earn Three First Team All-SPHL Selections - Knoxville Ice Bears
- Cottonmouths Week in Review - Columbus Cottonmouths
- Goaltender Steve Christie Returns to Ice Flyers for Playoffs - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- Ice Bears, RiverHawks Head All-SPHL First Team - SPHL
- All-SPHL Second Team Announced - SPHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.