Ice Bears Earn Three First Team All-SPHL Selections
CHARLOTTE, NC (March 27, 2012) - The Southern Professional Hockey League on Tuesday announced its 2011-2012 All-SPHL First Team as selected in a vote of SPHL coaches and media representatives.
2011-2012 All-SPHL First Team
F - Kevin Swider, Knoxville Ice Bears (56 gp, 31-65-96, +36, 10 ppg, 6 gwg)
F - Emery Olauson, Knoxville Ice Bears (56 gp, 44-44-88, +33, 17 ppa, 9 ppg, 5 gwg)
F - Jim Gehring, Augusta RiverHawks (56 gp, 41-24-65, +26, 7 gwg, 5 shg)
D - Mark Van Vliet, Knoxville Ice Bears (56 gp, 14-43-57, +35, 16 ppa)
D - Ed Snetsinger, Augusta RiverHawks (56 gp, 10-38-48, +36, 3 gwg, 5 ppg)
G - Ian Vigier, Columbus Cottonmouths (21-7-3, 2.56 gaa, .914 save%, 2 shutouts)
Kevin Swider of the Knoxville Ice Bears makes his record seventh appearance on the All-SPHL First Team. After spending one season as the Ice Bears' Director of Hockey Operations, Swider returned to lead the SPHL in scoring for the seventh time. His 65 assists were the third-highest total in league history while his +36 rating was tied for the league-high this season. Swider was also among the league leaders in goals (31 - third), power play goals (10 - third) and game-winning goals (6 - third).
Emery Olauson of the Knoxville Ice Bears led the SPHL with 44 goals and 217 shots this season, while his 88 points and 17 power play assists were both second-best. Olauson finished with the third-best plus/minus rating (+33) and was among the league leaders in power play goals (9 - fourth) and game-winning goals (5 - fourth).
Mark Van Vliet of the Knoxville Ice Bears makes his third consecutive appearance on the All-SPHL First Team, posting the third-highest single season point total (57) by a defenseman. Van Vliet also led all defensemen with 43 assists, while his 16 power play assists and +35 rating were both second-best in the SPHL
Knoxville Ice Bears defenseman, Ricky Helmbrecht earned a Second Team All-SPHL selection.
Helmbrecht, tied for first among all defensemen with three game-winning goals, while his 14 goals were tied for second-most. Helmbrecht recorded 33 points, which was fifth-best among defensemen
The SPHL will announce its Defenseman of the Year on Wednesday.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from March 27, 2012
- Cottonmouths Bite IceGators in Opening Playoff Game - Louisiana IceGators
- RiverKings Take Part in Desoto County Junior Auxiliary's "Healthy Today, Healthy Tomorrow" Fair - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverHawks' Gehring, Snetsinger Named First Team All-Stars - Augusta RiverHawks
- Ice Bears Earn Three First Team All-SPHL Selections - Knoxville Ice Bears
- Cottonmouths Week in Review - Columbus Cottonmouths
- Goaltender Steve Christie Returns to Ice Flyers for Playoffs - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- Ice Bears, RiverHawks Head All-SPHL First Team - SPHL
- All-SPHL Second Team Announced - SPHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.