Cotton Kings Got the "Beat" - Jason Beatty re-signs with Lubbock
LUBBOCK, TX: July 26, 2006 - The Lubbock Cotton Kings of the Central Hockey League (CHL) are excited with the return of defenseman Jason Beatty, who re-signed with the Cotton Kings for the 2006/2007 season.
"It would be an understatement to say we are pleased with Jason's signing," said Cotton Kings Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations Chris Dashney. "He is a force to be reckoned with on the blueline and he has developed into a solid defenseman for us. I am glad our fans can look forward to him patrolling the ice for another season."
Beatty, a native of Sturgis, Saskatchewan, returns to the Cotton Kings for his third season of pro hockey. Last season, Beatty posted a goal and 11 assists for 12 points in 55 games. He served 120 penalty minutes, which ranked third on the squad, and he ranked as the third "Best Fighter" in the CHL's Best of the Best Poll. In February, Beatty became just the third player in franchise history to receive an in-season call-up, as he joined the American Hockey League's (AHL) San Antonio Rampage (top affiliate of the San Antonio Rampage. Beatty combined for six games over two separate call-ups with the Rampage. The 23 year-old defenseman turned pro with the Kings in 04/05 and contributed 4 goals and 4 assists for 8 points in 60 games, along with 125 penalty minutes (ranked second on the squad). He had 15 major penalties as a rookie to rank tied for third among CHL defensemen and rank tied for fifth among CHL rookies. His pro career totals include 5 goals and 15 assists for 20 points and 247 penalty minutes in 121 games.
Prior to joining the Kings, the 6'1 210-pound blueliner spent his entire junior career in Yorkton, Saskatchewan with the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League's (SJHL) Yorkton Terriers. From 00/01-03/04, Beatty combined for 27 goals and 64 assists for 91 points and 621 penalty minutes in 227 games spanning four seasons. He received a trio of team accolades with the Terriers, including the team's best defenseman and most popular player honors.
The signing of Beatty places the Kings with six players announced for the 06/07 season. He joins goaltender Brett Koscielny, defenseman Chris Barth and forwards Paul McBrien, Jaydyn Murray and Brian Sutherland on the 06/07 roster. With 121 games of professional experience, Beatty qualifies as a developmental player (128 games or less played). Each CHL team must have at least five developmental players on their roster.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from July 26, 2006
- Santa Ana star center starting to take shape - New Mexico Scorpions
- Enjoy The Dog Days Of August, Bucks Open House August 19th At The LEC - Laredo Bucks
- Cotton Kings Got the "Beat" - Jason Beatty re-signs with Lubbock - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Travis Smith Signs with Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- SteelHounds Sign Young Defenseman Mark Lindsay - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Eagles Look to Sellout BEC for Fourth Straight Season, Play Sundogs in Pre-Season - Colorado Eagles
- Blazers Bolster Blueline with Butland and Sundquist - Oklahoma City Blazers
- Gorillas hire new broadcaster - Amarillo Gorillas
- Hustling back into town - Corpus Christi IceRays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.