CornBelters take out Otters
NORMAL, Ill. - The Normal CornBelters, presented by Illinois Corn Farmers, rapped out 20 hits and exploded late for an 11-1 win over the Evansville Otters on Wednesday night at the Corn Crib.
The CornBelters struck first in the second inning by loading the bases and scoring on a wild pitch and a sacrifice fly by Brian Hakes.
The Belters added a run in the seventh by putting the first two hitters aboard with singles plus a sacrifice, with the tally coming on a sacrifice fly by Diego Cedeno for a 3-0 lead.
The Otters used a lead-off double from Dane Phillips coupled with a fielder's choice and a wild pitch to get on the board in the eighth inning to cut their deficit to 3-1.
The CornBelters bought insurance in the eighth with a double by Yeixon Ruiz, an RBI triple from Santiago Chirino and an RBI single by Aaron Dudley for a 5-1 advantage. Justin Fletcher contributed a bases-loaded-and-clearing double to the right field corner, then scored on a wild pitch for a 9-1 lead. The Belters re-loaded the bases in the frame and Dudley drove in two more runs with a double that one-hopped the left center field fence.
Shawn Blackwell (5-3) worked seven shutout innings in his second start of the season for the win, giving up six hits and three walks with four strikeouts. Hunter Ackerman (7-4) also worked seven innings and took the loss, giving up three earned runs on 12 hits with two walks and four strikeouts.
The series concludes Thursday with a 6:35 p.m. first pitch on Thirst Quenching Thursday presented by Budweiser with $1 domestic draft beer, $3 margaritas and $5 admission for college students with ID. The game can be heard live on WJBC.com at 6:20 with listen links at www.normalbaseball.com, Facebook and Twitter (@Normal_Baseball).
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 3, 2017
- Miners Holding Eclipse Viewing Party at Rent One Park - Southern Illinois Miners
- Slammers Host Second Annual Stand up for Blue Night - Joliet Slammers
- Boomers Defeats Crushers - Lake Erie Crushers
- Liguori Twirls Boomers Past Lake Erie - Schaumburg Boomers
- Grizzlies Split Doubleheader with Miners - Gateway Grizzlies
- CornBelters take out Otters - Normal CornBelters
- Beach Bums Drop Middle Game of Series to Washington - Traverse City Beach Bums
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.