Conquest and Coach Steve Matthews agree to part ways
Albany, N.Y. May 4, 2004 The Albany Conquest and Coach Steve Matthews announced today that they have mutually agreed to part ways and that Matthews will step down immediately as head coach.
At the same time, the team announced that assistant head coach Dave Bochette would be named Interim Head Coach. Bochette, with the help of other Conquest assistant coaches will develop both the offensive and defensive game plans for the teams game Saturday night against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers at 7 p.m. at the Pepsi Arena.
We are disappointed that the 2004 football season has started out so dismally and that the team is 0-4. This team needs to go in a different direction and for personal reasons Coach Matthews needs to return to his home in Nashville. Steve is a fine individual who will succeed as a coach, however we both agreed that a change must be made. We wish him all best, stated Albany Conquest GM Robert Zeig. We need to turn around our season for our fans and we must do so immediately, Zeig added.
Ive enjoyed my time here in Albany, but unfortunately things have not been working this season, said Steve Matthews. It is in the best interest of myself and the Albany Conquest organization to part ways, he added.
Dave Bochette has an extensive coaching career that spans over 20-years, including six years as Head Coach at Hudson Valley Community College (1992-1997). Bochettes winning percentage at Hudson Valley was 80% and his squad led the nation in team defense in 1995 and 1996. Dave Bochette was the teams defensive coordinator for five years (1987-1991).
He spent six years as Head Coach of Lansingburgh High School (1981-1986). Dave Bochette currently serves as Athletic Director of Lansingburgh Schools, President of the Capital Football Conference and committee member for Section II.
The Conquest will play the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers at the Pepsi Arena on Saturday (May 8) beginning at 7:00 p.m. A halftime and post game concert will be provided by the Burners UK. Tickets are available at the Pepsi Arena Box Office or by calling TicketMaster at (518) 476-1000 or on the web at www.albanyconquest.com.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from May 4, 2004
- Murray: Play Tough; Dont Make it Tough - Central Valley Coyotes
- Twisters make roster change, coach says more may come - Arkansas Diamonds
- Forbes Named ADT Defensive Player of the Week - Quad City Steamwheelers
- Hawaiian Islanders game notes - Hawaiian Islanders
- Conquest and Coach Steve Matthews agree to part ways - Albany Firebirds
- Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz game notes - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Green Bay Blizzard game notes - Green Bay Blizzard
- Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings game notes - Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings
- Sanders, Gorrie and Forbes earn week five honors - af2
- Wolves QB Chris Sanders named af2 Offensive Player of the Week - Manchester Wolves
- Tennessee Valley Vipers game notes - Tennessee Valley Raptors
- Wichita Stealth game notes - Wichita Stealth
- Bucks & Law Out & About - Laredo Law
- Riptide-Islanders Game Preview - San Diego Riptide
- Xplorers players to help in "Most Wanted" telecast tomorrow - Memphis Xplorers
- Florida Firecats game notes - Florida Firecats
- Conquest and CDT to host Donor Day at Saturday's game - Albany Firebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.