Firebirds Fall In Wilkes-Barre
WILKES_BARRE, PA - Quarterback Ryan Vena led his offense to an af2 record 48 first-half points and the Pioneers built an insurmountable 48-7 halftime lead and went on to win 78-21 Saturday night at the Wachovia Arena.
The Pioneers defense recorded two interceptions and three fumble recoveries to keep the Stephen Wasil-led visitors to just seven points in the first two quarters. Their score came midway through the opening frame on a 33-yard completion to leading receiver Alvin Ray Jackson that made it a 14-7 game. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton fullback Kirby Griffin tallied four scores in the half (three rushing) and Vena Found top receiver Irving Campbell three times.
Albany tight end Jon Leible scored Wasil's final touchdown of the game in the third quarter; back-up quarterback Adam Bednarik added a fourth-quarter rushing score in his first action under center since Week 5. The Pioneers continued to pile it on with four touchdowns in the second half and the defense finished it's impressive night with a safety in the final minute of action.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from August 2, 2009
- Race to 2009 AreaCup Continues - af2
- Barnstormers to host Green Bay in second round playoff - Iowa Barnstormers
- Lightning eliminated from postseason, Spokane advances on 55-0 run - Stockton Lightning
- Spokane Strikes Lightning, 62-41 - Spokane Shock
- Firebirds Fall In Wilkes-Barre - Albany Firebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.