Wolves QB Chris Sanders named af2 Offensive Player of the Week
MANCHESTER, N.H. (May 4, 2004) - The arenafootball2 league office announced today that Manchester Wolves quarterback Chris Sanders has been named the Baby Ruth Real Deal Offensive Player of the Week for Week 5 of the 2004 season.
Sanders played his best game of the season in Friday night's 51-34 home win against the Albany Conquest, completing 17-of-22 passes (77.2 percent) for 271 yards and four touchdowns with no interceptions. The second-year af2 veteran also tied a franchise record with three rushing touchdowns.
"I'd like to credit my offensive line for giving me the time to make things happen on Friday," Sanders said.
"I think that game showed what our offense is capable of. We're starting to click and hopefully we can keep it rolling."
This is the first weekly honor for Sanders this season. He won the Offensive Player of the Week award one other time in Week 4 of the 2002 season as a member of the Roanoke Steam. Shortly after the stint in Roanoke, Sanders was signed by the Tennessee Titans of the NFL but was released during the preseason. Sanders spent last season with the AFL's Buffalo Destroyers, appearing in five games.
Through five games this season, Sanders has thrown for 1,168 yards and 17 touchdowns. He ranks among the league leaders in total offense (4th - 1,225) and rushing (7th - 57 yards). Sanders also currently leads the Wolves with six rushing touchdowns on the year.
"Chris' performance doesn't surprise me," Richards said. "I expect these kind of games out of him every week. Chris is the franchise, and we need that type of effort from him week in and week out in order to be successful."
Fans are invited join the Wolves for their next home game on Friday, May 21, against the Birmingham Steeldogs at the Verizon Wireless Arena. Kick-off for this event is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. and all fans through the doors will receive a FREE pair of Bangstix, courtesy of Talarico Dealerships and 95.7 WZID. To get in the game, purchase your tickets today at the Verizon Wireless Arena box office or through Ticketmaster at 603-868-7300, at Ticketmaster outlets or online at www.ticketmaster.com. Adult seats start as low as $14 in the upper bowl while youth (12-and-under) and senior (65-and-over) tickets start at just $9.50. Six-game season ticket packages are also available in select locations, starting as low as $84. For more information on season tickets for the Wolves, fans can contact the team at 603.627.WOLF (9653) or visit them on the web at www.manchesterwolves.com.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from May 4, 2004
- Murray: Play Tough; Dont Make it Tough - Central Valley Coyotes
- Twisters make roster change, coach says more may come - Arkansas Diamonds
- Forbes Named ADT Defensive Player of the Week - Quad City Steamwheelers
- Hawaiian Islanders game notes - Hawaiian Islanders
- Conquest and Coach Steve Matthews agree to part ways - Albany Firebirds
- Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz game notes - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Green Bay Blizzard game notes - Green Bay Blizzard
- Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings game notes - Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings
- Sanders, Gorrie and Forbes earn week five honors - af2
- Wolves QB Chris Sanders named af2 Offensive Player of the Week - Manchester Wolves
- Tennessee Valley Vipers game notes - Tennessee Valley Raptors
- Wichita Stealth game notes - Wichita Stealth
- Bucks & Law Out & About - Laredo Law
- Riptide-Islanders Game Preview - San Diego Riptide
- Xplorers players to help in "Most Wanted" telecast tomorrow - Memphis Xplorers
- Florida Firecats game notes - Florida Firecats
- Conquest and CDT to host Donor Day at Saturday's game - Albany Firebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.