Comeback Falls Short, Bruins Downed by Aberdeen 3-1
AUSTIN, Minn. - Kyle Herbster netted his tenth goal of the season but the Bruins weren't able to muster any more offense as they fell to the Aberdeen Wings, 3-1 at Riverside Arena.
It didn't take long for the scoring to get started as the visiting Wings jumped onto the board just over three minutes into the opening frame. Shawn Kennedy rifled a shot from the point which ricocheted of Bruins defenseman Jed Pietila and past Kyle McClellan for the game's first goal. The tally was the fifteenth of the season for Kennedy and would give the Wings a 1-0 lead which held until the first intermission.
Out of the locker rooms in the second Aberdeen built their lead to 2-0 thanks to a Brad Belisle power-play goal. Belisle was left alone in the slot and made the Bruins pay by netting his first goal of the night and his twenty-eighth of the season. Austin didn't sit back and got a goal of their own moments later while on the power-play. Hugh Larkin's shot from the blue-line pinballed off Austin forward Kyle Herbster and past Matt Veron to make the game 2-1.
In the third, despite having two separate 5-on-3 power-plays, one of them near one-minute and 30 seconds long, the Bruins couldn't even the score. Aberdeen got an empty-net goal in the waning minutes off the stick of Belisle, his twenty-ninth goal of the year and second of the game, to ice it for the visiting Wings.
The Bruins are back in action against the first-place Aberdeen Wings again on Saturday, looking for revenge. Tickets to Saturday's game can still be purchased at all the Bruins vendors including Games People Play, Hy-Vee, Holiday Inn, and Jim's Marketplace.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from March 1, 2019
- IceRays Beat Pesky 'Bugs on Heart Night - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Ice Rays Stop the Bugs - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Jackalopes Fail to Complete Comeback, Fall 4-3 to Lone Star - Odessa Jackalopes
- Pilots Can't Finish Late Rally, Fall 5-4 to Bulls - Topeka Pilots
- Comeback Falls Short, Bruins Downed by Aberdeen 3-1 - Austin Bruins
- Titans Edge Tomahawks 4-3 in Overtime - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Rebels Rout Black Bears 7-0 - Maryland Black Bears
- On the Road Again - Aberdeen Wings
- Family Affair - Minot Minotauros
- Bulls Back To Road Visiting Pilots Looking To Clinch South - Amarillo Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Bruins Stories
- Bruins Forward Andy Wills Commits to St. Thomas University
- Three-Year Bruin Dante Zapata Commits to Utica College
- Defenseman Terry Ryder Commits to Division-III Adrian College
- Bruins Assistant Coach Keenan Kelly Departing for New Mexico Ice Wolves
- Bruins Season Comes to a Close with 3-1 Loss to Aberdeen