Columbus Crew Names Heidi Dettmer as Chief Marketing Officer
COLUMBUS - The Columbus Crew today announced that Heidi Dettmer has been named Chief Marketing Officer. A sports marketing and technology leader with team-side experience in MLS, the NFL and the NHL, Dettmer will drive the Club's brand and fan engagement efforts. In her new role, Dettmer will directly oversee all Marketing functions including branding, advertising, creative services, special events, social media, grassroots and community impact, and content production. Joining the Crew this week, Dettmer will play a key role within the organization in fostering deeper connections with the supporter base, corporate partners, and the greater Columbus community.
"Heidi has built two very strong sports brands in Seattle with Sounders FC and the Kraken, in addition to having significant experience in the tech industry," said Columbus Crew President of Business Operations Kristin Bernert. "She will be a wonderful addition to the Crew team while spearheading the growth of our fan base, driving our impact in the community, and taking the fan experience at Lower.com Field from great to exceptional. We are thrilled to welcome her to Columbus, a city that we are so proud to represent."
Dettmer served as the Vice President of Marketing & Broadcast for the Seattle Kraken from 2018-2021, where she drove the successful brand launch for the expansion team. In 2020, the Kraken set the NHL expansion team merchandise sales record for Fanatics and was recognized as the "Best New Brand of 2020" by Sports Business Journal. The following fall, the team set the NHL record for highest-selling newly released sweater in its first five days of availability from Sept. 15-21, 2021.
"It is my privilege to join the Crew and call the vibrant city of Columbus my home," said Dettmer. "I am eager to serve this community and relentlessly pursue a first-in-class fan experience, with the ultimate goal of achieving more MLS Cup championships. Soccer is the greatest sport in the world; as a lifelong fan and player, I cannot wait to share this passion with the people of Columbus. I thank Kristin Bernert and Haslam Sports Group for welcoming me to the team."
From 2016-2019, Dettmer served as the Regional Marketing Manager, Pacific Northwest for Lyft, where she managed key partnerships and developed an integrating marketing strategy for the region which grew ridership by more than 30 percent. Dettmer additionally spent 2016 as the Director of Marketing for Enthrall Sports Technology, where she developed strategies to create market-leading software and technology in the sports industry.
Dettmer began her career in professional sports when she joined the Seattle Sounders FC and Seattle Seahawks organization. Dettmer oversaw the development of the overall brand, retail, marketing and media plans for the franchise, ultimately rising to the position of Director of Marketing for the Sounders, a role which she held through September 2016. She managed the relationship with ad agency Wexley School for Girls, which earned one gold and three silver ADDY awards for Sounders FC campaigns in 2014.
Dettmer graduated from Jacksonville University with a degree in marketing and communications. While at Jacksonville, she appeared in 82 matches, serving as a team captain for the Dolphins' Division 1 Women's Soccer team.
TurnkeyZRG assisted in the Crew's hiring process for its Chief Marketing Officer position. TurnkeyZRG is regarded as the leading talent recruiting firm in sports, entertainment and sport media.
The Crew returns to action against Charlotte FC at Lower.com Field on Saturday, June 18 [7:30 p.m. ET / Bally Sports Great Lakes, Bally Sports App (Stream) / 971TheFan.com (English); ColumbusCrew.com (Spanish)].
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 15, 2022
- New England Revolution and Orlando City SC Play to a 1-1 Draw - New England Revolution
- Robin Jansson Scores First of the Year in Lions' 1-1 Draw at New England - Orlando City SC
- Dairon Reyes Called up by Cuba's U-20 National Team for 2022 Concacaf U-20 Championship - Inter Miami CF
- Official SEA 2026 Watch Parties Announced Ahead of Thursday's FIFA World Cup 2026© Host City Selection Event - Seattle Sounders FC
- Bryan Destin Called up to Haitian U-20 National Team for 2022 Concacaf U-20 Championship - Inter Miami CF
- Herons Close out June International Window - Inter Miami CF
- McKinze Gaines: "There Is No Reason Why We Can't be Sitting Comfortably in a Playoff Spot" - Charlotte FC
- Inter Miami CF to Visit Atlanta United on Sunday - Inter Miami CF
- Earthquakes Announce Three C-Level Promotions - San Jose Earthquakes
- Orlando City SC Signs Javier Otero to Short-Term Contract - Orlando City SC
- LA Galaxy Announce Juneteenth Programming Details for Home Match against Portland Timbers on Saturday, June 18 - LA Galaxy
- New England Revolution Celebrate Juneteenth on Sunday Night - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Joins MLS and Black Players for Change in Commemorating Juneteenth with "Freedom to Be" Jersey Numbers and Auction for Impact Organizations - FC Dallas
- Young Leaders from Across the Globe Gather in Manchester for a Unique Leadership Summit Celebrating Soccer as a Force for Good - New York City FC
- Columbus Crew Names Heidi Dettmer as Chief Marketing Officer - Columbus Crew SC
- Keys to the Match: Welcome Back - New York City FC
- MLS and Black Players for Change Commemorate Juneteenth with "Freedom to Be" Jersey Numbers and Auction for Impact Organizations - MLS
- Sounders FC Moves Above Playoff Line with 4-0 Victory over Vancouver - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Crew Youth Adds Seven Partner Clubs to the Crew Network
- Columbus Crew Loans Midfielder Alex Matan to FC Rapid Bucuresti
- Columbus Crew and Wendy's Announce Family-Friendly "Feed Your Crew" Bundle
- Columbus Crew Road Match against Charlotte FC to Resume on October 5
- Due to Inclement Weather, Tonight's Columbus Crew Road Match at Charlotte FC Postponed