Columbus Blue Jackets Sign Left Wing Craig MacDonald and Re-Sign Center Derek MacKenzie
Syracuse, NY (July 14, 2009) - The Syracuse Crunch announced today that the Columbus Blue Jackets have signed left wing Craig MacDonald to a one-year contract and re-signed center Derek MacKenzie to a two-year contract. Both are two-way NHL-American Hockey League contracts. As per club policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.
MacDonald, 31 appeared in 65 games for the Tampa Bay Lightning last season, notching 2 goals, 9 assists and 16 penalty minutes. He also skated in 7 games last season for the Norfolk Admirals, Tampa Bay's American Hockey League affiliate, tallying 3 goals, 8 assists and 8 penalty minutes.
In all, MacDonald has appeared in 225 combined NHL games with Carolina, Florida, Boston, Calgary, Chicago and Tampa Bay, netting 10 goals, 23 assists and 91 penalty minutes. He has also skated in 320 combined AHL games with New Haven, Lowell (Lock Monsters), San Antonio, Omaha and Norfolk, collecting 79 goals, 143 assists and 394 penalty minutes.
A native of Antigonish, Nova Scotia, MacDonald was drafted by the Hartford Whalers in the fourth round, 88th overall, in the 1996 NHL Entry Draft.
MacKenzie, 27, appeared in 62 games for the Crunch last season, tallying 25 goals, 24 assists and 46 penalty minutes, good for fourth on the team in scoring. He also skated in 17 games with Columbus last year, notching 2 goals and 8 penalty minutes.
Prior to last season, MacKenzie spent six (6) seasons in the Atlanta Thrashers organization and appeared in 28 NHL games, picking up 2 assists. He played in 377 career games with the Chicago Wolves, Atlanta's AHL affiliate, racking up 83 goals 101 assists and 441 penalty minutes, helping the team to the Calder Cup championship in the 2001-02 season.
A native of Sudbury, Ontario, MacKenzie was drafted by the Atlanta Thrashers in the fifth round, 128th overall, in the 1999 NHL Entry Draft. He was signed by Columbus as a free agent on July 11, 2007.
Season tickets for the 2008-09 season are now on sale and can be purchased by calling the Crunch office at (315) 473- 4444 or by stopping by the Crunch office in the War Memorial at Oncenter.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from July 14, 2008
- Hurricanes Trio Agree To One-Year Pacts With Team - Albany River Rats
- Flames Fever...it's spREDing - Abbotsford Heat
- Nashville Signs Forward Joel Ward - Milwaukee Admirals
- Hurricanes Trio Agree to One-Year Pacts with Team - Albany River Rats
- Blues Re-Sign Jay McClemment - Peoria Rivermen
- Monarchs Partner With Absolute Broadcasting - Manchester Monarchs
- Blues Ink Matt Foy - Peoria Rivermen
- Columbus Blue Jackets Sign Left Wing Craig MacDonald and Re-Sign Center Derek MacKenzie - Syracuse Crunch
- San Jose Sharks Re-Sign Goc, Cavanagh, and Staubitz - Worcester Sharks
- Canucks sign Jason Krog - Manitoba Moose
- Admirals Minority Owner Sheets to Start MLB All-Star Game - Milwaukee Admirals
- Hurricanes Announce Exhibition Schedule - Albany River Rats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.