Colorado's 4-2 Win Forces Decisive Game Seven
LOVELAND, CO. - Eagles forward Michael Joly posted two goals and an assist, while goaltender Joe Cannata made 26 saves on 28 shots as the Colorado Eagles defeated the Florida Everblades, 4-2 in Game Six of the Kelly Cup Final on Wednesday. The victory now ties the best-of-seven series at 3-3, with Game Seven of the series set to unfold Saturday, June 9th at Germaine Arena in Estero, Florida.
Colorado would net the game's first goal when forward Ryan Harrison snagged a rebound on the top of the crease and fed it into the back of the net to give the Eagles the 1-0 edge just 4:34 into the contest.
Florida would strike back less than three minutes later when a Colorado turnover was grabbed by Everblades forward Joe Cox, who would race down the ice and beat Cannata to tie the game at 1-1 at the 7:28 mark of the period.
As the opening stanza slipped inside the final minute, Joly would take advantage of a turnover at the Florida blue line and head down the ice on a breakaway before beating goalie Martin Ouellette along the ice. The goal was Joly's 11th of the playoffs and gave the Eagles the 2-1 lead heading into the first intermission.
Colorado would stretch its lead midway through the second period when defenseman Jake Marto skated between the circles before lighting the lamp with a backhander from the low slot. The tally would give the Eagles a 3-1 advantage at the 8:13 mark of the middle frame.
With Colorado up by a pair as the two teams embarked on the third period, Florida would be forced to pull Ouellette in favor of the extra attacker in the waning minutes of the contest. With the net vacant, Joly would add an empty-netter from his own blue line to grow the Eagles lead to 4-1 with 1:21 remaining in the contest.
The Everblades would pull back within two goals when forward Justin Kea slipped through the top of the crease and snapped the puck into the net to trim Colorado advantage to 4-2 with 24 seconds left to play. Florida would draw no closer, as the Eagles would hold on for the 4-2 victory.
Colorado outshot the Everblades 33-28, as the Eagles went 3-for-3 on the penalty kill and 0-for-4 on the power play.
Game Seven of the Kelly Cup Final will take place Saturday, June 9th at 5:00pm MT at Germaine Arena in Estero, Florida. Season tickets for the 2018-19 season are available now and can be reserved with a deposit of just $100 per seat by calling (970) 686-SHOT.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from June 7, 2018
- Eagles Force a Decisive Game 7 at Germain Arena with 4-2 Win - Florida Everblades
- Capitals Claim First Stanley Cup Championship - South Carolina Stingrays
- Former Royals G Grubauer Wins Stanley Cup with Washington - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - June 7 - ECHL
- Great Gifts for Dad Courtesy of the Americans Father's Day Pack - Allen Americans
- Thunder, the Sin Bin Announce Broadcast Extension - Wichita Thunder
- Colorado's 4-2 Win Forces Decisive Game Seven - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- 2018 Kelly Cup Championship Party Set for Tuesday, June 12th
- Game Seven Watch Party Set for Budweiser Events Center
- Colorado's 4-2 Win Forces Decisive Game Seven
- Florida Blanks Colorado, 5-0 to Take 3-2 Series Lead
- Epic Rally Comes up Short in 7-6 OT Loss in Game Four