Colorado Rapids Sign Steven Beitashour to One-Year Contract
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - The Colorado Rapids have signed defender Steven Beitashour to a one-year contract with an option for an additional year, the club announced today.
"Steven is one of the most decorated and experienced defenders in our league," said Pádraig Smith, Colorado Rapids Executive VP& General Manager. "His leadership and versatility contributed greatly to our conference-topping season in 2021 and we look forward to welcoming him back for another year in Burgundy."
Beitashour, 34, appeared in 11 matches for Colorado in 2021, his first full season with the club, while adding two assists as the Rapids earned a club-record 61 points and finished atop the Western Conference for the first time in their history. The fullback originally signed with Colorado in September 2020.
Prior to joining the Rapids, Beitashour spent two seasons with LAFC, playing 25 matches as the Black & Gold won the Supporters' Shield and set what was then an MLS-record 72 points in 2019.
In 2017, Beitashour played 22 games for Toronto FC as the Reds completed a historic, treble-winning season, capturing the MLS Cup, Supporters' Shield and Canadian Championship alongside current Rapids teammates Clint Irwin and Drew Moor, as well as current Rapids head coach Robin Fraser, who was an assistant in Toronto. Overall, he played in 51 regular season matches for Toronto across two seasons, as well as 11 MLS Cup Playoff matches as Toronto reached consecutive MLS Cup Finals.
Beitashour started his career with the San Jose Earthquakes in 2010 and went on to win the 2012 Supporters' Shield during his four seasons with the Californian side. He then moved to Vancouver Whitecaps FC where he played 54 regular season games across two seasons and won the first of his three Canadian Championships. Since 2010, Beitashour has recorded five goals and 38 assists across 258 career regular season matches.
Born in California to Iranian parents, Beitashour has earned six senior international caps for Iran and was selected to the 23-man roster for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.
TRANSACTION: Colorado Rapids sign defender Steven Beitashour to a one-year contract on January 7, 2022.
Birthdate: February 1, 1987
Birthplace: San Jose, CA
Nationality: United States, Iran
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 7, 2022
- Three Academy Players Called up to U.S. U-15 Men's Youth National Team - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Raheem Edwards - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC Acquires Uruguayan Midfielder César Araújo - Orlando City SC
- RSL Academy Trio Selected for United States U15 Men's National Team Training Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Colorado Rapids Sign Defender Drew Moor to One-Year Contract - Colorado Rapids
- Orlando City SC Announces 2022 Kickoff to Soccer Events - Orlando City SC
- Colorado Rapids Sign Steven Beitashour to One-Year Contract - Colorado Rapids
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Canadian International Mark-Anthony Kaye Called up to National Team for June Matches
- Robin Fraser Boosts Head Coaching Tenure with 50 Regular Season Wins
- SuperDraft Pick Anthony Markanich Showcases Versatility, Confidence in MLS Debut
- Captain Jack Price Selected to Team of the Week Following Performance against Seattle
- Colorado Rapids Best CCL Champions Seattle Sounders FC 1-0 to Extend Unbeaten Streak