Colorado Rapids Conclude Four-Year Affiliation with Charlotte Independence
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - Colorado Rapids Soccer Club and Charlotte Independence of the United Soccer League (USL) have announced that their affiliation agreement will not be renewed for 2019. In doing so, the affiliation - which began in 2015 - will conclude at the end of the 2018 MLS and USL seasons. Most recently, Caleb Calvert, Andrew Dykstra, Ricardo Perez and Sam Vines spent the 2018 season on loan in Charlotte. First team contributors Dominique Badji and Marlon Hairston each spent time with the Independence prior to earning starting roles with the Rapids first team.
"Charlotte has been a fantastic affiliate for us," said Rapids Senior Director of Soccer Development Brian Crookham. "Coach Jeffries and his staff have created a professional environment that has allowed us to challenge and develop our young professionals at a key point in their development. "
In the four seasons, 15 different Rapids players were loaned to the Independence. Rapids players earned a total of 286 appearances and nearly 18,000 minutes while on loan in Charlotte. Additionally, four Development Academy players were rostered to the Independence as amateurs during this period, most notably Sam Vines, who featured in his first Major League Soccer match on October 21 against San Jose Earthquakes and is currently in the pool for the U-20 United States Men's National Team.
"We want to thank Independence President and Managing Partner Jim McPhilliamy, Chief Financial Officer Bruce Cairnduff and General Manager Tom Engstrom, as well as the Charlotte Independence ownership group for their tremendous support," said Rapids Executive Vice President and General Manager Pádraig Smith. "While the formal affiliation will end, it is certain that we will continue to work together in the sport on future projects."
The Rapids will announce their future USL affiliation plans in the coming weeks.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 23, 2018
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic Named Top-Selling Jersey in MLS - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sam Rogers Named to U.S. U-20 Men's National Team for CONCACAF Championship - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sounders FC to Hold 2018 Alliance Annual Business Meeting on Tuesday, November 13 Inside the Ninety - Seattle Sounders FC
- Revolution Homegrown Isaac Angking Named to U.S. Under-20 Men's National Team Roster for CONCACAF U-20 Championship - New England Revolution
- Three FC Dallas Players Called into National Team Duty - FC Dallas
- Three Philadelphia Union Homegrowns Receive Call-Up from United States Under-20 National Team - Philadelphia Union
- Know Your Opponent | New York Red Bulls - Orlando City SC
- Wayne Rooney Voted Alcatel MLS Player of the Week - D.C. United
- D.C. United Forward Wayne Rooney Voted Alcatel MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Colorado Rapids Conclude Four-Year Affiliation with Charlotte Independence - Colorado Rapids
- NYCFC to Host Fan Appreciation Day at Final Game of the Regular Season on October 28th - New York City FC
- Martino Set to Depart Atlanta United at Season's End; Declines Contract Extension - Atlanta United FC
- It All Comes Down to MLS Decision Day Presented by AT&T - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Signs Matt Hundley and Sam Raben as Homegrown Players
- Colorado Rapids Trade Marlon Hairston to Houston Dynamo for $175,000 in GAM
- Colorado Rapids Sign U.S. International Benny Feilhaber
- Colorado Rapids Announce 2019 MLS Regular Season Schedule
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Keegan Rosenberry from Philadelphia Union