College Park Skyhawks Announce Return to Action for 2021-22 Season
COLLEGE PARK, Ga. - The College Park Skyhawks, the NBA G League affiliate of the Atlanta Hawks, today unveiled a 50-game schedule for 2021-22, marking their first regular-season action since March 11, 2020 and their first home game since Feb. 29, 2020. The Skyhawks will welcome fans back to Gateway Center Arena @ College Park on Friday, Nov. 5, when the club hosts the Maine Celtics at 7 p.m. ET in the first of seven scheduled theme games this season.
"We are beyond excited to return to action and welcome our fans back into the building this season," said Janice Koon, Vice President of G League Operations and 2K League Operations for the Atlanta Hawks & State Farm Arena. "Now, more than ever, the Atlanta metropolitan area is on fire for basketball, and we can't wait for our passionate fans to cheer us on in person."
The Skyhawks' seven theme games for the upcoming season feature ticket bundles, which begin at $15 and include a seat for the contest as well as a team-branded hat and water bottle. Those dates are listed below:
Date Time Opponent Theme
Friday, Nov. 5 7 p.m. Maine Celtics Home Opener
Friday, Nov. 19 7 p.m. Delaware Blue Coats Hoops and Heroes-
Sunday, Jan. 2 2 p.m. Cleveland Charge Kids Day
Thursday, Feb. 10 11 a.m. Westchester Knicks Education Day
--Saturday, Feb. 12 6:30 p.m. Fort Wayne Mad Ants Celebrating Black History
Friday, March 4 7 p.m. Greensboro Swarm Faith and Family
Friday, March 18 7 p.m. Wisconsin Herd Fan Appreciation
The Skyhawks enter the season with a new coaching staff led by Head Coach Steve Gansey, who was head coach of the Fort Wayne Mad Ants of the NBA G League from 2015-20, where he recorded a 123-120 mark and became the club's all-time wins leader. Highlighting the roster are two players on two-way contracts with the Atlanta Hawks: Sharife Cooper, a former Mr. Georgia Basketball and Georgia Gatorade Player of the Year at McEachern High School in Powder Springs; and Skylar Mays, a second-year professional who saw action in 33 games for the Hawks during the 2020-21 regular season.
"After more than a year away from our fans in College Park, our players, coaches and staff are enthusiastic about returning to competitive action," said Skyhawks General Manager Tori Miller. "Coach Gansey and his staff are diligently preparing to lead our team to the next level on the court."
Only players with three-or-fewer years of NBA experience are permitted to sign two-way contracts. Per league rules, teams are allowed to have up to two two-way players on their roster at any given time, in addition to their 15-man regular season roster. A two-way player for the Hawks will spend time with the Skyhawks but can be on the Atlanta Hawks' active list for up to 50 games during the 2021-22 regular season.
In a change from past seasons, the NBA G League will crown two champions at separate points this year to compliment the fluidity of rosters and fluctuation of players during the season. The league is implementing an innovative structure for 2021-22 which will include two parts: a 14-game Showcase Cup to begin the season; and a 36-game regular season in advance of the traditional NBA G League Playoffs.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from September 15, 2021
- Memphis Hustle to Host 'Back to Basketball' Youth Clinics on Sunday, September 26 at Landers Center - Memphis Hustle
- Cavaliers Re-Sign Brodric Thomas to Two-Way Contract - Cleveland Charge
- Jordan Surenkamp Named Head Coach Of The Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Capitanes announce 2021-22 season schedule - Mexico City Capitanes
- Capitanes will participate in the NBA G League Season 2021-22 - Mexico City Capitanes
- Fort Wayne Mad Ants Announce Basketball Operations Changes - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- College Park Skyhawks Announce Return to Action for 2021-22 Season - College Park Skyhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent College Park Skyhawks Stories
- College Park Skyhawks Announce Return to Action for 2021-22 Season
- Hawks Sign 2021 Draft Picks Jalen Johnson and Sharife Cooper
- Steve Gansey Named Head Coach of College Park Skyhawks
- Statement from the College Park Skyhawks on the 2020-21 Season
- Atlanta Hawks Sign Onyeka Okongwu, Skylar Mays and Nathan Knight