Colgate Winger Joins Steelheads
Boise, Idaho - The ECHL's Idaho Steelheads, affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars and AHL's Iowa Stars, today announced Liam Huculak [HOOCH-ah-lack], a right-winger out of Colgate University, has agreed to terms to play with the team for the 2007-08 season.
Steelheads Head coach Derek Laxdal said, "Liam comes from a solid program at Colgate and, as a power forward, he'll add some size and toughness to our team."
The 27-year-old from Lethbridge, Alberta stands 6-foot-5 and weighs 220 pounds. As a senior last season, Huculak served as team captain for the Raiders and received Colgate's Terry Slater Trophy. The four-year letterman played in 133 games registering 7 goals, 10 assists and 95 penalty minutes, including a career highlight when he netted the game-winning goal at Connecticut in the championship game of the Toyota UConn Classic on December 30th, 2006. Huculak and last season's Steelheads Kelly Cup Championship MVP goaltender Steve Silverthorn were Raiders teammates for three seasons.
Prior to his collegiate career, Huculak played for the Penticton Panthers of the British Columbia Hockey League where he finished his final season with 14 goals and 23 assists (37 points) in 57 games and was named the team's unsung hero.
The Steelheads home opener is Friday, October 19th against the Victoria SalmonKings. A variety of Season Ticket Plans including a new Family Flex Plan are now available by calling (208) 383.0080 or visiting the team's website at www.idahosteelheads.com.
About the ECHL Celebrating its 20th Anniversary as the Premier "AA" Hockey League in 2007-08, the ECHL began in 1988-89 with five teams in three states and has grown to be a coast-to-coast league that will have 25 teams in 17 states and British Columbia in 2007-08. The 25 teams includes the Mississippi (Biloxi) Sea Wolves, who return after missing two seasons in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, and the expansion Elmira (NY) Jackals.
Opening day for the 20th Anniversary Season will be Oct. 18th when the Johnstown Chiefs host the Wheeling Nailers at Cambria County War Memorial in a rematch of Game 7 from the first-ever ECHL Finals.
The ECHL will play 900 games beginning Oct. 18 and concluding Apr. 5th. The conference and division alignments and the format for the 2008 Kelly Cup Playoffs will be determined and approved at a later date by the ECHL Board of Governors.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from July 24, 2007
- Devils Sign Three Players to AHL Contracts - Trenton Devils
- Bombers, Royals Make Scheduling Change - Dayton Bombers
- Colgate Winger Joins Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers News - Wheeling Nailers
- Wranglers Start Game Worn Jersey Auction Tomorrow - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Sea Wolves Agree To Terms With Mark Hurtubise - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Joe Zappala Returns To Reading - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Captain A.J. White Re-Signs with Steelheads for 2019-20 Season
- Tomas Sholl Inks AHL Deal with Texas Stars
- Steelheads Announce 2018-19 Season-Ending Roster
- Steelheads Release 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule
- Steelheads Acquire Forward Marc-Olivier Roy from Fort Wayne