Cole Bassett Represents Rapids on MLS Team of the Week
A sweet, left-footed goal from distance to level the score against San Jose earned Cole Bassett a spot on the MLS Week 13 Team of the Week.
With the Rapids pushing in search of an early second-half equalizer, Bassett took a pass from Nico Benezet off his chest, dribbled in with his right foot before crossing to his left and firing a zurdazo from outside the box to the far post that left Quakes goalkeeper JT Maricinkowski with no chance.
It was part of a lively evening for the 19-year-old who took a game-high four shots. Bassett whizzed two past the post in the first half and played several through balls in for Michael Barrios.
The Littleton, Colo., native tied Barrios and Diego Rubio for the team scoring lead with his third goal of the season. This is Bassett's third Team of the Week selection of the season, and his second in the best XI.
It's been an eventful month for Rapids Homegrowns. On top of Bassett's goal, 17-year-old Dantouma "Yaya" Toure made his MLS debut, while Sam Vines made club history by becoming the first Rapids Homegrown Player to feature in a major international tournament with the U.S. Men's National Team. He also scored his first USMNT goal in the 1-0 win over Haiti in Group B play.
Bassett's goal also extended the Rapids' home scoring streak to 31 games, which is tied for the sixth-longest in MLS history, and ensure his side remains unbeaten in their last six at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park. Colorado will look to keep both going when FC Dallas visits on Wednesday.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 19, 2021
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: July 19, 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Mukhtar Magic: Hany's Historic Hat Trick Leads Nashville SC to Crucial Home VictoryÃÂ - Nashville SC
- Real Salt Lake Signs Forward Rubio Rubin to Contract Extension - Real Salt Lake
- LIGA MX Announces Team to Participate in the 2021 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - MLS
- Nashville SC Midfielder Hany Mukhtar Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 13 - Nashville SC
- D.C. United Defender Brendan Hines-Ike Placed on the Injured List - D.C. United
- Nashville SC Midfielder Hany Mukhtar Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 13 - MLS
- Chicago Fire FC Adds Midfielder Stanislav Ivanov to Active Roster - Chicago Fire FC
- Columbus Crew to Host Campeones Cup 2021 against Cruz Azul at Lower.com Field on September 29 - MLS
- Columbus Crew Continues Busy Stretch of MLS Action - Columbus Crew SC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Begin Two-Game Road Trip against Vancouver Whitecaps - Houston Dynamo FC
- Cole Bassett Represents Rapids on MLS Team of the Week - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville Soccer Club Announces Date Change in Away Match against CF Montréal - Nashville SC
- Athletic Trainer Juan Mesa Recognized as Hispanic Star Award Finalist by Azcona - Inter Miami CF
- Schedule Change Announced - Club de Foot Montreal
- Procter & Gamble and Inter Miami CF Announce Wide-Ranging Partnership to Support South Florida Hispanic CommunityÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Everything You Need to Know About Soccer at the 2020 Olympic Games - Charlotte FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Keys against Toronto: Pressure and Pass to Success
- Set Piece King Jack Price Named to MLS Team of the Week Bench
- Rapids Begin Three-Game Homestand on Sunday vs. Vancouver
- Keys against Vancouver: Score Twice (Or More), Slow Ryan Gauld
- Rapids Draw Portland 2-2 in Back-And-Forth Contest