Christine Sinclair Named to Canada Women's National Team Roster for 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup
PORTLAND, Ore. - Portland Thorns FC forward Christine Sinclair has been named to the 23-player Canada Women's National Team roster for the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup in France, it was announced today.
The 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup will be Sinclair's fifth World Cup with Canada. The captain of the Canada Women's National Team, Sinclair has made 282 international appearances, tallying 181 career goals. She currently ranks second all-time in career international scoring and with four more goals will break the all-time international goal-scoring record set by Abby Wambach (184). At the 2015 World Cup, Sinclair helped Canada advance to the quarterfinal round of the tournament, starting in all five matches and tallying two goals and an assist. In her four previous World Cup appearances, Sinclair has played in 17 matches, registering nine goals and three assists.
Now in her seventh season with Thorns FC, Sinclair, 35, started and played in the club's first three matches of the 2019 season before departing to begin World Cup preparations. In those three matches, Sinclair tallied three goals and one assist. She was named NWSL Player of the Week for Week 2 after scoring her second career hat-trick against the Chicago Red Stars on April 20.
Playing in Group E, Canada will open group play against Cameroon on June 10 at Stade de la Mosson in Montpellier; kickoff is set for 12 noon (Pacific). Continuing group play on June 15, Canada squares off against New Zealand at Stade des Aples in Grenoble at 12 noon (Pacific). Canada concludes group play on June 20 against The Netherlands in Reims at the Stade Auguste Delaune; kickoff is set for 8 a.m. (Pacific). The 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup runs from June 7-July 7 and all 52 games will be shown live on FOX, FOX Sports 1, FOX Sports 2 and on tablets and mobile devices through the FOX Sports app.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from May 25, 2019
- Utah Royals FC Overpower Orlando Pride for 2-0 Victory - Utah Royals FC
- Orlando Pride Lose 2-0 at Utah Royals FC - Orlando Pride
- Thorns FC Earn 1-0 Win on the Road against Sky Blue FC - Portland Thorns FC
- Sky Blue FC Come up Short against Portland Thorns - Sky Blue FC
- Match Forecast: Reign FC in Memorial Day Matchup against NC - Reign FC
- Storylines | Pride vs. Utah Royals FC - Orlando Pride
- Christine Sinclair Named to Canada Women's National Team Roster for 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup - Portland Thorns FC
- Desiree Scott Named to Canada's World Cup Roster - Utah Royals FC
- Kailen Sheridan Named to Canada's World Cup Roster - Sky Blue FC
- Shelina Zadorsky Named to Canada's 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup Roster - Orlando Pride
- Four Houston Dash Players Named to CanWNT Roster for 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup - Houston Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Thorns FC Stories
- Thorns FC Weekly Update: July 18, 2019
- Timbers, Thorns FC, T2 Team up with Local Partners to Present Eighth-Annual Stand Together Week July 28-August 3
- Thorns FC Rally in Second-Half Stoppage Time to Earn 4-3 Win against Orlando Pride
- Thorns FC Weekly Update: July 11, 2019
- Thorns FC Fall 1-0 to Reign FC at Providence Park