Utah Royals FC Overpower Orlando Pride for 2-0 Victory
SANDY, Utah - Utah Royals FC (4-1-1, 13 points) defeated the Orlando Pride for the second time this season with goals from FW Amy Rodriguez and MF Makenzy Doniak.
Utah Royals FC came out of the gate chomping at the bit, pestering the Pride's backline with several shots. The team finally busted through in the 31st minute when MF Vero Boquete was taken down in the box and Royals FC was awarded a penalty kick. Rodriguez stepped up and calmly booted the ball into the top corner to take the lead.
For the next 58 minutes both teams pressed hard, back and forth with multiple opportunities, forcing GK Nicole Barnhart to come up big for URFC. But in the 89th minute after being substituted on just 10 minutes prior Doniak saw a chance and took it, slamming the ball into the back of the net to secure the win at Rio Tinto Stadium.
UP NEXT: URFC will head east to face the Washington Spirit in the last match before the FIFA International break on Saturday, June 1 at Maryland SoccerPlex. Kickoff is set for 3:00 p.m. MT.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
UTA: Amy Rodriguez (PK) 31th minute: After MF Vero Boquete was taken down in the box by Orlando Pride midfielder Bridget Callahan Utah Royals FC was awarded a penalty kick. FW Amy Rodriguez stepped up and took the shot, sending the ball soaring into the top-left corner of the net for her fourth goal in as many games.
UTA: Makenzy Doniak 89th minute: Following Royals FC being awarded a free kick, MF Lo'eau LaBonta dispatched the ball directly to the feet of MF Makenzy Doniak, who then dribbled the ball with purpose down the right-hand side and fired off a shot with her right foot, floating it in between the legs of goalkeeper Haley Kopmeyer to solidify the victory.
- Utah played without DF Rachel Corsie (SCO), MF Desiree Scott (CAN), DF Becky Sauerbrunn (USA), FW Christen Press (USA) and DF/FW Kelley O'Hara (USA) due to international duty as they enter preparation for the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup. MF Diana Matheson also missed the match due to injury. Following the match DF Katie Bowen will also depart from Utah to head to France with New Zealand.
- Rookie DF Gaby Vincent made her first-ever start for Utah Royals FC and her first professional start at centerback alongside veteran DF Sam Johnson.
- FW Amy Rodriguez scored her fourth goal in as many games after Utah Royals FC were awarded its first penalty kick off the season as a result of MF Vero Boquete being taken down from behind inside the 18-yard-box. The goal ties Rodriguez for the second-most in the league with Crystal Dunn from the North Carolina Courage.
- MF Vero Boquete was subbed off in the 39th minute with a right quad injury, marking the first time she has not completed the full 90 minutes in a match this season.
- MF Makenzy Doniak scored her first goal of the season and her first in a Royals FC jersey in the 89th minute. Her goal also marks her first since returning previously this year from a ACL tear sustained early last season prior to making her way to Utah.
- The 2-0 win over Orlando represented the first time this season the squad has scored more than one goal in a match and the fourth clean sheet of the season.
Match: Utah Royals FC vs. Orlando Pride
Date: May 25, 2019
Venue: Rio Tinto Stadium; Sandy, Utah
Weather: Partly Cloudy and 65 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Utah Royals FC 1 1 2
Orlando Pride 0 0 0
UTA: Amy Rodriguez (PK) 31'
UTA: Makenzy Doniak 89'
Utah Royals FC (4-4-2): Nicole Barnhart ©; Becca Moros, Sam Johnson, Gaby Vincent, Katie Bowen; Mandy Laddish (Mallory Weber 67'), Gunny Jonsdottir, Lo'eau LaBonta, Veronica Boquete (Erika Tymrak 39'); Amy Rodriguez, Katie Stengel (Makenzy Doniak 79')
Subs not used: Abby Smith, Michelle Maemone, Raisa Strom-Okimoto, Meghan Cox
Orlando Pride (4-3-3): Haley Kopmeyer; Erin Greening, Morgan Reid, Toni Pressley, Carson Pickett; Dani Weatherholt ©, Bridget Callahan, Marisa Viggiano; Rachel Hill, Abby Elinsky (Danica Evans 75'), Chioma Ubogagu
Subs not used: Lainey Burdett, Caitlin Farrell, Taylor Porter, Hana Kerner, Kristen Edmonds, Alika Keene
Stats Summary: UTA / ORL
Shots on Goal: 4/3
Corner Kicks: 4/12
ORL: Dani Weatherholt (caution) 64'
ORL: Bridget Callahan (caution) 68'
Referee: Karen Abt
Assistant Referees: Deleana Quan, Melissa Beck
4th Official: Brad Jensen
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from May 25, 2019
- Utah Royals FC Overpower Orlando Pride for 2-0 Victory - Utah Royals FC
- Orlando Pride Lose 2-0 at Utah Royals FC - Orlando Pride
- Thorns FC Earn 1-0 Win on the Road against Sky Blue FC - Portland Thorns FC
- Sky Blue FC Come up Short against Portland Thorns - Sky Blue FC
- Match Forecast: Reign FC in Memorial Day Matchup against NC - OL Reign
- Storylines | Pride vs. Utah Royals FC - Orlando Pride
- Christine Sinclair Named to Canada Women's National Team Roster for 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup - Portland Thorns FC
- Desiree Scott Named to Canada's World Cup Roster - Utah Royals FC
- Kailen Sheridan Named to Canada's World Cup Roster - Sky Blue FC
- Shelina Zadorsky Named to Canada's 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup Roster - Orlando Pride
- Four Houston Dash Players Named to CanWNT Roster for 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup - Houston Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utah Royals FC Stories
- Utah to Host 2020 NWSL Challenge Cup Presented by P&G and Secret
- RSL and Utah Royals FC Join with Wonder Entertainment to 'Light the RioT'
- A Unique Mix of Partners Collaborate with the Navajo Nation During COVID-19 Pandemic
- RSL Foundation and Broadway Media Group Launch "Feeding Our Frontline" Community Fund
- Dell Loy Hansen and Wasatch Property Management Offer Relief to Property Residents