Chicago Red Stars Defender Kayla Sharples Loaned to Adelaide United Football Club
CHICAGO - The Chicago Red Stars today announced the loan of defender Kayla Sharples to Adelaide United Football Club of the Australian A-League Women. The Naperville native will be with the Australian club until March 28, 2022, after which she is expected to rejoin the Red Stars for the 2022 season.
During the 2021 National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) regular season Sharples played in 14 games, starting in 12, and played over 1,000 minutes for the Red Stars. The defender was an integral part in the Red Stars' defense while Tierna Davidson and Casey Krueger were with the United States Women's National Team at the Olympics.
"I'm excited to play for Adelaide United during the NWSL off season. It is and always will be a priority of mine to do whatever it takes to improve my game," said Sharples. "I believe this is another great opportunity to better myself, get some time away and most importantly work on my game to help elevate me into the player I know I can become. I'm grateful to Adelaide United for adding me to their team this season and my goal is to help them win the league. I'll miss Chicago, but I'll see you in a few months!"
Sharples was drafted by the Red Stars in the 2019 NWSL College Draft with the 26th overall pick out of Northwestern University. At Northwestern, she was an All-Big Ten First Team player in consecutive seasons and played every minute in the Wildcats' 2017 and 2018 seasons. On her down time this season, Sharples spent time calling women's soccer games for the Big Ten Network.
The Chicago Red Stars wish Kayla the best of luck in Australia and look forward to seeing her back in a Red Stars jersey in 2022.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from November 29, 2021
- Rhian Wilkinson Named Thorns FC Head Coach - Portland Thorns FC
- Chicago Red Stars Defender Kayla Sharples Loaned to Adelaide United Football Club - Chicago Red Stars
- Foundation's Kickoff Auction Features Unique LouCity, Racing Items - Racing Louisville FC
- Michelle Alozie Finds Success on the Pitch and in the Laboratory - Houston Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Red Stars Stories
- Morgan Gautrat Joins United States Women's National Team Training Camp
- Three Chicago Red Stars Join USWNT for Upcoming January Training Camp
- Yuki Nagasato Returns to Chicago Red Stars
- Red Stars Take Next Steps in Securing Jersey Sponsor, Hire SRS Partners as Sponsorship Agency
- Chicago Red Stars Announce Broadcasting Partnership with Local Broadcasters