Chicago Fire Signs Defenders Kwame Watson-Siriboe and Steven Kinney
CHICAGO, IL (March 15, 2010) - The Chicago Fire Soccer Club announced today that it has signed defenders Kwame Watson-Siriboe (KWAH-me Watson-sear-EE-bow) and Steven Kinney to MLS contracts. The Fire selected the two defenders in this year's MLS SuperDraft. Watson-Siriboe, 23, was drafted in the second round by the Fire (26th overall) from the University of Connecticut. Kinney was selected by the club in the third round (45th overall) out of Elon University. Per Major League Soccer and club policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.
"We are pleased to add Kwame and Steven to the Fire family to help us bring a MLS Cup back to Chicago," said Fire Technical Director Frank Klopas.
Watson-Siriboe, 23, played four seasons at the University of Connecticut and was named 2009 Big East Co-Defender of the Year. The 6-3, 196-pound central defender played and started 19 games for the Huskies in 2009 while garnering First Team All-Big East honors. The Chino Hills, CA product represented the United States U-18 team that traveled to Argentina in 2004.
Kinney, a 6-0, 175-pound defender from Norcross, GA started in all 78 games he appeared in at Elon University, earning First Team All-Southern Conference three times during his four-year tenure. The, 22-year old becomes the first player in the history of the Elon program to be signed by a MLS club.
The Fire also announced today that it will not be extending an offer to second round draftee (29th overall) Drew Yates. The Severna Park, MD product has been released from camp.
Player: Kwame Watson-Siriboe
Height: 6'3" (1.90 m)
Weight: 196 lbs. (88 kg)
Born: November 13, 1986 in Chino Hills, CA
Hometown: Chino Hills, CA
Last Club: University of Connecticut
Pronunciation: KWAH-me Watson-sear-EE-bow
How Acquired: Selected 26th overall (2nd round) in 2010 SuperDraft
Player: Steven Kinney
Height: 6'0" (1.82 m)
Weight: 175 lbs. (79 kg)
Born: October 28, 1987 in Norcross, GA
Hometown: Norcross, GA
Last Club: Elon University
How Acquired: Selected 45th overall (3rd round) in 2010 SuperDraft
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 15, 2010
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Kansas City Wizards Weekly Update: March 15, 2010 - Sporting Kansas City
- Kansas City Wizards Ink International Midfield Trio - Sporting Kansas City
- New York Red Bulls Weekly Update - New York Red Bulls
- More Than 55,000 Tickets Sold For Mexico vs. Iceland Match On March 24 In Charlotte - MLS
- Chicago Fire Signs Defenders Kwame Watson-Siriboe and Steven Kinney - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire Loans Midfielder Mo Adams to Memphis 901 FC
- Frankowski, Hasler and Mihailovic Called up to International Duty
- Chicago Fire Falls 4-2 to Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Acquires Argentina National Team Midfielder Nicolas Gaitan
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - March 11, 2019