Chicago Fire FC Sign Academy Midfielder Sergio Oregel to Homegrown Player Contract
CHICAGO - Chicago Fire FC today announced that the Club has signed Academy midfielder Sergio Oregel (SER-gee-oh or-eh-HEL) to a Homegrown Player contract. Oregel, 16, has been a standout in the Academy since 2018 and is the 22nd Homegrown signing in Club history. Oregel's contract, which will begin on Jan. 1, 2022, will run through 2025 with a Club option for 2026.
"Sergio is a talented young midfielder with excellent vision and a strong passion for the game," said Chicago Fire FC Technical Director Sebastian Pelzer. "We look forward to officially welcoming him to the first team and to continue being a part of his development."
Oregel is the eighth Homegrown Player to sign with the first team since Jan. 2020. Additionally, with Oregel's signing, the Club currently has 10 homegrowns under contract through the 2022 season.
"I want say a big thank you to my family, my friends and my coaches who helped me get to this point," said Oregel. "It's a dream come true and I'm excited to start playing for my hometown club."
A native of Evergreen Park, Ill., Oregel originally joined the Fire Academy at the U-14 age level in 2018. During his first season with the Club, he scored nine goals and dished out 15 assists.
Most recently, Oregel was a key part of the Fire U-19 team, which captured the inaugural MLS NEXT U-19 Championship on July 3. Oregel earned the MLS NEXT U-19 Golden Ball, which is awarded to the best player of the tournament in each age division. Led by head coach Ludovic Taillandier and assistant coach Patrick Nyarko, the Fire U-19 squad finished the tournament with a 4-0-0 record. The Fire scored 17 goals, conceding only four.
"Sergio is a talented player with many strong qualities," said Chicago Fire FC Academy Technical Director Cedric Cattenoy. "He has improved tremendously these past few months. This signing is a great reward for the hard work that Sergio and the Academy staff have put in throughout the years."
Oregel will be recognized during the pregame ceremonies of tonight's match against Real Salt Lake at Soldier Field. Beginning at 7:00 p.m. CT, the match will serve as the Club's annual Fan Appreciation Night. Fans will also be invited to stay after the final whistle for a post-match firework show above Lake Michigan. Tickets are currently available for purchase here.
Transaction: Chicago Fire FC signs Sergio Oregel as a Homegrown Player on Oct. 23, 2021.
Name: Sergio Oregel
Weight: 144 lbs.
Date of Birth: May 16, 2005
Birthplace: Evergreen Park, Ill.
Hometown: Chicago, Ill.
Citizenship: United States of America
High School: Laurel Springs School
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 23, 2021
- FC Cincinnati Falls in MiamiÃÂ - FC Cincinnati
- With 31,308 Fans in Attendance, Chicago Fire FC Defeat Real Salt Lake 1-0 at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire FC
- Timbers Drop Road Result against Colorado Rapids - Portland Timbers
- Inter Miami CF Earns Historic 5-1 Victory over FC Cincinnati - Inter Miami CF
- Loons Maintain Playoff Position with Tie against LAFC - Minnesota United FC
- Toronto FC Knots up CF Montréal - Club de Foot Montreal
- Real Salt Lake Suffer Setback at Chicago in 0-1 Loss - Real Salt Lake
- Playoff Bound: Rapids Secure Spot in Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs for Second Season in a Row - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids Secure Playoff Berth, 300th All-Time Win in 2-0 Victory over Portland - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC Falls in Road Match to Philadelphia Union - Nashville SC
- Toronto FC (1) - CF Montréal (1) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Kacper Przybylko scores 11th of the season; Union take second place in the Eastern Conference - Philadelphia Union
- NYCFC Blows out D.C. United - New York City FC
- New York Defeats Columbus Crew 2-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC Suffers 2-1 Home Loss to Sporting Kansas City - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sporting Clinches Playoff Berth with Win at Seattle - Sporting Kansas City
- Supporters' Shield Secured as Revolution Visit Orlando City SC with More History on the Line - New England Revolution
- New England Revolution Earn Top Seed in Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs Winning the Supporters' Shield - MLS
- Earthquakes Host Vancouver Whitecaps FC Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- New England Revolution Win 2021 Supporters' Shield as Major League Soccer's Regular Season Champions - New England Revolution
- Houston Dynamo FC Travels to Austin to Close Three-Game Week - Houston Dynamo FC
- Chicago Fire FC Sign Academy Midfielder Sergio Oregel to Homegrown Player Contract - Chicago Fire FC
- Orlando City Hosts New England Revolution on Sunday - Orlando City SC
- MLS and Wells Fargo Recognize 27 Community MVPs; Contribute Nearly $70,000 to Local Charitable Organizations - MLS
- Minnesota United FC vs. Los Angeles FC Preview - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire FC Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Recognized with First Regional Emmy Nomination
- Chicago Fire FC Names Ezra Hendrickson Head Coach
- Chicago Fire FC to Face Orlando City SC in 2022 Home Opener at Soldier Field on March 5
- Chicago Fire FC Announce 2021 Award Winners
- Chicago Fire FC Announce 2021 Roster Decisions