Chicago Fire FC Announces 2023 Roster Decisions
CHICAGO - Chicago Fire FC today announced roster decisions for players on the 2023 squad. The Fire have exercised the 2024 contract options for goalkeepers Jeff Gall and Spencer Richey, defenders Jonathan Dean and Wyatt Omsberg and midfielder Fabian Herbers.
Additionally, the Fire have exercised the option to purchase midfielder Maren Haile-Selassie from FC Lugano and are in discussions with Homegrown midfielder Javier Casas Jr. about a return to the Club in 2024.
"We are pleased to announce the players who will be returning to the team in 2024, and we look forward to finalizing our discussions with Javi very soon," said Chicago Fire FC Sporting Director Georg Heitz. "They have consistently demonstrated their reliability and are an integral part of the team, providing quality, experience, and depth at key positions on the roster."
Chicago also announced today that it has declined the 2024 contract options for defender Kendall Burks, and Homegrown midfielders Alex Monis and Allan Rodríguez. The loans for defender Alonso Aceves and midfielder Ousmane Doumbia expire at the end of the year and the Club has declined their transfer options. Additionally, forward Kei Kamara is out of contract and has not been offered a new deal for the 2024 season.
Kamara will be eligible for free agency, while Burks, Monis and A. Rodríguez will be available for selection in the 2023 MLS Re-Entry Draft.
"We would like to thank Alex, Allan, Alonso, Kei, Kendall and Ousmane for their contributions to the Club," added Heitz. 'It's especially difficult to say goodbye to Alex and Allan, who rose through our Academy and were part of the initial group of Homegrown Players that we signed to the first team in 2020. However, we felt these moves were necessary as we look to make additions and strengthen the roster for next season. We wish nothing but the best for all the players departing the Club this offseason."
The following players remain under guaranteed contract for the 2024 MLS season: goalkeeper Chris Brady; defenders Rafael Czichos, Miguel Navarro, Justin Reynolds, Arnaud Souquet and Carlos Terán; defender/midfielder Mauricio Pineda, midfielders Gastón Giménez, Brian Gutiérrez, Chris Mueller, Federico Navarro, Sergio Oregel Jr., Xherdan Shaqiri and Jairo Torres; and forwards Victor Bezerra, Georgios Koutsias, Kacper Przybyłko and Missael Rodríguez.
Transaction: Chicago Fire FC exercises its 2024 contract options on goalkeepers Jeffrey Gal and Spencer Richey, defenders Jonathan Dean and Wyatt Omsberg, and midfielder Fabian Herbers. Additionally, the Fire have exercised the option to purchase midfielder Maren Haile-Selassie from FC Lugano and are in discussions with Homegrown midfielder Javier Casas Jr. about a return to the Club in 2024.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 22, 2023
- With Two-Week Break in Rear View Window, FC Cincinnati Readies for Weekend Playoff Matchup - FC Cincinnati
- Trill Burgers to Host Dynamo Day on Saturday, November 25 - Houston Dynamo FC
- Inter Miami CF in Action During November International Window - Inter Miami CF
- U.S. Women's National Team Announces Roster Featuring Stars and New Faces for DRV PNK Stadium Match against China PR - Inter Miami CF
- Inter Miami CF Team Store at DRV PNK Stadium Announces Pink & Black Friday Sale Details & Updated Holiday Hours - Inter Miami CF
- New York Red Bulls and Defender Hassan Ndam Mutually Agree to Part Ways - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire FC Announces 2023 Roster Decisions - Chicago Fire FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire FC Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: Match Preview
- Chicago Fire FC Defender Arnaud Souquet Receives U.S. Green Card
- Chicago Fire FC Defeats Portland Timbers 2-1 in Coachella Valley Invitational
- Chicago Fire FC Unveils New "Return to Red" Kit Ahead of 2024 MLS Season
- Chicago Fire FC Transfers Forward Kacper Przybyłko to FC Lugano