Chicago Fire FC Acquires 20-Year-Old Nigerian Striker Chinonso Offor
CHICAGO - Chicago Fire FC announced today that the Club has acquired 20-year-old Nigerian striker Chinonso Offor via transfer from Latvian first division Club FK RÄ«gas Futbola Skola. Offor will be added to the Fire's 2021 roster pending a medical and receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P1 Visa. He is under contract with the Fire through the 2023 season with a Club option for the 2024 season.
"We are very pleased to welcome Chinonso to the Fire family," said Chicago Fire FC Sporting Director Georg Heitz. "His signing is the latest example of our intention to add promising young players to the roster. With his skillset, we believe that Chinonso will complement our current attacking players very well and be a key contributor to the team."
Offor joins the Fire after spending the past two-and-a-half seasons in the Latvian first division, where he notched 16 goals and seven assists in 40 games played across all competitions.
The striker originally began his professional career in 2019 with BFC Daugavpils. In two seasons with the Club, he scored 10 goals in 23 appearances (22 starts). Since signing with FK RÄ«gas Futbola Skola on July 19, Offor has scored six goals in 13 league appearances in 2020. He also made one appearance in the UEFA Europa League, featuring against Serbian powerhouse FK Partizan on Aug. 27.
Offor will occupy an international slot on the Fire's 2021 roster. He is the 13th player on the Club's roster age 23 or younger.
Transaction: Chicago Fire FC acquires forward Chinonso Offor via transfer from FK RÄ«gas Futbola Skola. Offor's contract with the Fire will begin in January 2021.
Name: Chinonso Offor
Weight: 185 lbs.
Date of Birth: May 27, 2000
Hometown: Lagos, Nigeria
Birthplace: Lagos, Nigeria
Last Club: FK RÄ«gas Futbola Skola
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 13, 2020
- Seattle Sounders FC Confirms Positive COVID-19 Case - Seattle Sounders FC
- An In-Depth Look at the Rapids' First Round Opponent: Minnesota United FC - Colorado Rapids
- Columbus Crew SC Midfielder Lucas Zelarayan Named MLS Newcomer of the Year - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC's Lucas Zelarayan Named Major League Soccer's 2020 Newcomer of the Year - Columbus Crew SC
- Daryl Dike: A Breakout Rookie Season - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Forward Bradley Wright-Phillips Named 2020 MLS Comeback Player of the Year - Los Angeles FC
- LAFC Forward Bradley Wright-Philips Named MLS Comeback Player of the Year - MLS
- LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Tops List of Best-Selling MLS Jerseys - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires 20-Year-Old Nigerian Striker Chinonso Offor - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Leads League with Four Players in Top 25 Best-Selling 2020 Adidas MLS Jerseys - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Unveils 2020 Best-Selling Jerseys; Josef Martinez Only Player to Rank Top-Three in Each of the Past Four Seasons - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Unveils 2020 Best-Selling Jerseys - Orlando City SC
- MLS Unveils 2020 Best-Selling Jerseys - MLS
- Three Inter Miami CF Players Make the 2020 MLS Best-Selling Jerseys List in Inaugural Season - Inter Miami CF
- New York Red Bulls Players and Pediatric Patients Virtually Design Posters to Mark Five-Year Anniversary of Tackle Kids Cancer - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC President Nelson Rodriguez Resigns
- Chicago Fire FC Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. Men's National Team
- Chicago Fire FC Selects Three Players in 2021 MLS SuperDraft Presented by Adidas
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires 17-Year-Old Colombian Forward Jhon Jader Duran
- Chicago Fire FC to Develop New Visual Identity, Including New Primary Crest