Chicago Fire Announces Protected Players in Advance of 2019 MLS Expansion Draft
CHICAGO - The Chicago Fire today announced its list of protected players in advance of the 2019 MLS Expansion Draft. Scheduled to take place on Tuesday, Nov. 19 at 4:30 p.m. CT, the Expansion Draft will provide Inter Miami CF and Nashville SC with an opportunity to select up to five players each in preparation for their inaugural MLS campaign in 2020. Once one player has been selected from a team's unprotected roster, that team may not lose any further players.
The following Chicago Fire players are exempt from selection in the Expansion Draft:
Protected Players (11): Micheal Azira, Jonathan Bornstein, Brandt Bronico, Francisco Calvo, Raheem Edwards, PrzemysÅaw Frankowski, Fabian Herbers, Johan Kappelhof, Aleksandar Katai, Kenneth Kronholm, CJ Sapong
Automatically Protected (4): Jeremiah Gutjahr (Homegrown Player), Djordje MihailoviÄ (Homegrown Player), Andre Reynolds II (Homegrown Player), Gabriel Slonina (Homegrown Player)
The following players are available for selection:
Unprotected Players (11): Diego Campos, Stefan Cleveland, Elliot Collier, Marcelo, NicolÃ¡s GaitÃ¡n, Cristian MartÃnez, Amando Moreno, Nemanja NikoliÄ, David Ousted, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Richard SÃ¡nchez
The Expansion Draft eligible player list includes players from 19 MLS clubs. D.C. United, FC Dallas, Houston Dynamo, New York Red Bulls, and Vancouver Whitecaps FC are exempt, having had a player selected in the 2018 MLS Expansion Draft.
All 19 remaining clubs had the opportunity to protect up to 12 players from their roster. MLS Homegrown Players ages 25 and under (those born during or after 1994), as well as Generation adidas players that did not graduate from the program following the 2019 season are automatically protected, therefore clubs did not need to use one of their 12 selections to protect them.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 16, 2019
- Eligible Player List Announced for 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - Inter Miami CF
- Eligible Player List Announced for 2019 Major League Soccer Expansion Draft - Nashville SC
- Philadelphia Union Announce Protected List for 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - Philadelphia Union
- Real Salt Lake Announces 24 Players Protected in 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - Real Salt Lake
- FC Cincinnati Announce Protected List for 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - FC Cincinnati
- Sporting Unveils List of Protected Players for Expansion Draft - Sporting Kansas City
- New York City FC Submit Protected List for 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - New York City FC
- List of Protected Players by Impact Ahead of MLS Expansion Draft - Club de Foot Montreal
- Orlando City SC Announces 2019 MLS Expansion Draft Protected List - Orlando City SC
- Revolution Announced Protected Player List Ahead of 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire Announces Protected Players in Advance of 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - Chicago Fire
- Eligible Player List Announced for 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires 17-Year-Old Colombian Forward Jhon Jader Duran
- Chicago Fire FC to Develop New Visual Identity, Including New Primary Crest
- Chicago Fire FC Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team
- Chicago Fire FC Sign Mauricio Pineda to Multi-Year Contract Extension
- Chicago Fire FC Trades Midfielder Brandt Bronico to Charlotte FC