Charlotte FC Names Mikel Antía Assistant Coach
CHARLOTTE, NC - Charlotte FC today announced Mikel Antía as a new assistant coach. Antía joins the technical staff of head coach Miguel Ángel Ramírez and assistant coach Christian Lattanzio. The Spaniard signed a three-year agreement with the Club and his official hire is pending receipt of his work visa.
The 49-year-old joins the new MLS expansion team from professional Chinese football club Dalian Pro F.C., where he served as assistant from 2019-2021. Previously, he was an assistant for Newcastle United F.C., one of the most historic and popular clubs in English football. From 2016-2019, he worked under renowned head coach Rafael Benítez who led the team's promotion to the Premier League and re-established them as a top-flight club in 2017. Last month, Benítez, was appointed as the new club manager of Everton Football Club. He has also been in charge of leading teams including Real Madrid, Liverpool, Chelsea, Inter Milan and Napoli.
"We look forward to welcome Mikel to Charlotte FC. We are very pleased with the coaching team we are establishing for our inaugural season," said Charlotte FC Sporting Director Zoran Krneta. "Mikel brings a wealth of experience and knowledge of styles of play, methodology and player development systems. We expect that our newly formed coaching staff with head coach Miguel Ángel Ramírez, assistant Christian Lattanzio and Mikel will lead a competitive team."
Born in San Sebastián, Spain, Antía spent four years in the Aspire Academy in Doha, Qatar, established to develop youth soccer players in the build-up to the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022.
"I am thrilled for the opportunity to join Charlotte FC's coaching team and work with Miguel and Christian," said Antía. "I have known Miguel since my time at the Aspire Academy from 2012-2016 and have seen his evolution as a coach. Football is my passion and the possibility of helping build this Club allows me to combine different styles of play based on rhythm, intensity and a solid understanding of the game."
Throughout his career as a soccer player, Antía was a defender for Spanish clubs Celta Vigo, Real Madrid, Real Valladolid and Real Sociedad.
SEASON TICKETS ON SALE NOW
Become an inaugural season ticket member for less than $10/month!
Call or Text: (704) 593-4100 for more information or click here to learn more.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 14, 2021
- Toronto FC Returns to BMO Field Saturday against Orlando City SC for First Match at Home Since September 2020 - Toronto FC
- Orlando City SC Weekend Match at Toronto to be Played at BMO Field - Orlando City SC
- Toronto FC and CF Montreal to Host Select Matches in Canada - MLS
- New York Red Bulls Match against Toronto FC on July 21 Moved to BMO Field - New York Red Bulls
- CF Montréal Will Play at Stade Saputo this Saturday - Club de Foot Montreal
- Call for Artists: Design a Nashville SC Matchday Poster - Nashville SC
- Fan Voting Opened for 2021 MLS All Star Game, Pres. by Target - Nashville SC
- Selection Process Unveiled for 2021 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target; Fan Voting Opens Today - MLS
- Thirteen FC Dallas Players Available for Selection for 2021 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - FC Dallas
- Selection Process Unveiled for 2021 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - New York Red Bulls
- Charlotte FC Names Mikel Antía Assistant Coach - Charlotte FC
- Philadelphia Union Launch 'Iron Phang' Video Game Ahead of D.C. United Rivalry Match - Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City SC Signs Argentinian Defender Emmanuel Mas - Orlando City SC
- Austin FC, Tigres UANL Entertain in Four-Goal Friendly - Austin FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte FC Stories
- The Carolina Lightnin', Charlotte's First Pro Soccer Team, Celebrates Its 40th Anniversary
- Charlotte FC Launches Greater Goals After-School Program
- Breaking Down the Guzmán Corujo Signing
- How a Charlotte Youngster Used Soccer to Help Battle Rare Cancer
- Hispanic Community Excited to Welcome MLS to the Carolinas