Charge Acquire Barford, Move up in Draft
CANTON, OH - The Canton Charge, powered by the Cleveland Cavaliers, acquired the rights to G Jaylen Barford and the 12th overall choice in next month's NBA G League Draft from the Greensboro Swarm in exchange for the rights to G Kobi Simmons and the 14th overall pick originally belonging to the Capital City Go-Go. The trade is not subject to a physical.
"We are excited to acquire the rights of a dynamic scorer and athlete like Jaylen plus move up a couple slots in the draft as well," said Charge General Manager Brendon Yu. "We wish Kobi the best as he continues his basketball journey."
Barford (6-3, 202, Arkansas) played in 47 games for the Swarm last season (18 starts) and averaged 17.7 points on .437 shooting with 3.9 rebounds and 1.1 steals in 25.1 minutes per game. He spent last training camp with the Charlotte Hornets after two seasons with the Razorbacks that saw him earn First Team All-SEC honors in 2017-18. The Charge now hold the rights to the #9 & #12 overall picks as well as two third round choices in next month's NBA G League Draft.
Simmons spent last training camp with the Cleveland Cavaliers before coming to Canton as an affiliate player for the 2018-19 season. Kobi played in 35 games with the Charge and averaged 17.2 points on .440 shooting with 3.7 rebounds and 3.5 assists in 31.9 minutes per game.
The 2019-20 Charge training camp roster, promotional schedule and single game ticket sales will be announced at a later date. For Charge Nation Memberships, group outings, game day promotions and up-to-date information, head to www.CantonCharge.com or call 866-444-1944. The Canton Charge are part of the Cleveland Cavaliers organization and are also owned by a group led by Cavaliers Chairman and Quicken Loans Founder and Chairman Dan Gilbert. The group also owns and operates the Cleveland Monsters of the American Hockey League, who play their games at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse in downtown Cleveland.
Fans can stay up-to-date on team news by following the team at: @CantonCharge on Twitter at www.twitter.com/CantonCharge and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/CantonCharge. Fans can download the new Canton Charge App on their smartphone via the iTunes Store or Google Play Store.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from September 12, 2019
- Red Claws Acquire Rights to Kaiser Gates - Maine Red Claws
- Charge Acquire Barford, Move up in Draft - Canton Charge
- Austin Spurs Single Game Tickets on Sale Now - Austin Spurs
- Greensboro Swarm Complete Trade with Canton Charge - Greensboro Swarm
- Darren Erman Named 6th Head Coach of Maine Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Austin Spurs Announce November 26 Game Change - Austin Spurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Canton Charge Stories
- Cavs, Monsters & Charge Announce Multi-Year Extension of Radio Broadcast Agreement
- Charge Launch Virtual 5K to Benefit Akron-Canton Foodbank
- NBA G League and Canton Charge Statements on 2019-20 Season Cancellation
- Canton Charge Statement - March 12, 2020
- Canton Charge to Play Remaining Home Games without Fans in Attendance