Champions Hire Atlantic League Ace as Pitching Coach
OTTAWA - One of the Atlantic League's best pitchers has joined the Ottawa Champions coaching staff for 2018.
RHP JAKE HALE, a native of Athens, Ohio, has signed a contract to become the Champions pitching coach. He will also join the Champions starting rotation, which already includes an impressive array of experienced pro baseball pitchers.
Hale connected with Champions manager Hal Lanier over the winter, and Lanier was impressed with the pitcher's philosophy.
"It was exactly what I wanted to hear," he sad of his conversation with Hale. "He'll do great with our younger players."
Lanier says the accolades of his new pitching coach give him a sense of legitimacy. "He's been around, he's been in organizations, and he's been very successful in his seven years in indy ball."
Last season was one of his more successful years - Hale was a go-to arm for the Sugar Land Skeeters, where he compiled 11 wins and a 3.24 ERA. He was second on the Skeeters in both starts (24) and innings pitched (153).
This will be Hale's second stint in the Can-Am League, after pitching for the Brockton Rox and New Jersey Jackals during the 2011 and 2012 seasons respectively.
He is the second veteran to sign with the Champions this year, leaving two more open positions. Can-Am League roster rules allow each team to field four players with veteran status.
Images from this story
RHP Jake Hale with the Sugar Land Skeeters
• Discuss this story on the Canadian American League message board...
Canadian American League Stories from February 19, 2018
- Champions Hire Atlantic League Ace as Pitching Coach - Ottawa Champions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Ottawa Champions Stories
- Saturday's Ottawa Champions Game against the Quebec Capitales Postponed
- Champions Take First Game of International Series with Dramatic Walkoff
- Champions Partnering with Lixar to Celebrate Community
- Tonight's Ottawa Champions Game against the Quebec Capitales Postponed
- Bell Let's Talk Promotion Postponed, Champions Still Expected to Play