Carriere Cashes in on Strong Weekend
Waterloo, Iowa - A pair of winning efforts over the weekend by Gabriel Carriere helped the Waterloo Black Hawks add to their lead in the United State Hockey League Western Conference and contributed to the 19-year-old being named the USHL Goaltender of the Week on Tuesday.
The Hawks swept the Fargo Force during a weekend series at Young Arena. Waterloo prevailed 2-1 in overtime on Friday, then celebrated a 5-2 decision the following night.
Carriere made timely saves throughout Friday's game, including a pair of overtime stops, before Ryder Rolston scored the game-winner for Waterloo at the four-minute mark. Carriere ended the night with 18 saves.
The Vermont recruit was nearly twice as active on Saturday during the rematch, turning away at least 10 shots in each period as the Force out-chanced Waterloo 35-29. Fargo did not score at even-strength against Carriere on Saturday, as he made a four-goal Hawks second period stand up for the win.
Carriere now has a 16-4-2 record in 2019/20. He is one of just three USHL goalies with at least 16 wins. The Ottawa, Ontario, native's goals-against average (2.73, eighth), save percentage (.902, ninth), and minutes played (1,385, ninth) all rank in the top ten among league goalies.
With Tuesday's recognition, four Black Hawks have earned a USHL weekly award this season. Carriere's creasemate Logan Stein has been Goaltender of the Week twice. Rolston and Griffin Ness have each been recognized as Forwards of the Week.
Waterloo hosts the Dubuque Fighting Saints at Young Arena Tuesday night beginning at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from February 11, 2020
- Saints Scribbles: Dubuque Wins in Waterloo Again - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Saints Take Tuesday Tilt - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Nikolai Mayorov (Cedar Rapids), Daniel Hilsendager (Omaha) and Gabriel Carriere (Waterloo) Earn Weekly Honors - USHL
- Game Preview: Saints Hit the Road for Weekday Game against Waterloo - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Carriere Cashes in on Strong Weekend - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Mayorov Named USHL Forward of the Week - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Travis Treloar Has Committed to Ohio State University - Lincoln Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.