Carolina RailHawks Add Local Talent To Roster
CARY, NC - The Carolina RailHawks announced today they have come to an agreement with midfielder Steven Curfman, a Raleigh native, who will join the team for the 2008 season. Curfman comes to the RailHawks by way of Real Salt Lake of Major League Soccer where he spent his rookie season after being selected 30th overall in the 2007 MLS Superdraft.
"Steven is a fantastic player," said RailHawks Head Coach Scott Schweitzer. "His versatility allows him to play different positions and we will be looking to utilize him on the outside flanks to help drive the ball in. It's great to add a local talent as another piece to our puzzle."
Steven Curfman's career is already very impressive. He played collegiately at Wake Forest University where He was a four year letterman. He finished his collegiate career with 15 goals and 21 assists in 81 appearances, two All-ACC Academic Team nominations, one All-ACC Tournament Team, one All-ACC Freshman Team and helped Wake Forest to a number one ranking in the NCAA and the school's first appearance in the NCAA College Cup.
"Growing up I always dreamed about playing soccer professionally," said Steven Curfman. "Having the opportunity to not only play professionally but to play here in my hometown in front of friends and family is truly a blessing. I'm thrilled to be here and I can't wait to get the season underway."
Curfman spent plenty of time in Bradenton Florida as a part of the United States Under-17 National Team Residency Program. He was a member of the U-17 FIFA World Cup US National Team that went to Finland in 2003 where he played alongside former Real Salt Lake teammates Freddy Adu and Jamie Watson.
The Carolina RailHawks men's professional team kicks off its 2008 campaign at WakeMed Soccer Park with a highly-anticipated pre-season match against Major League Soccer's New York Red Bulls on March 28th at 7:30 PM. The men's team home opener at WakeMed Soccer Park is on April 26th at 7:30 PM against the Charleston Battery. The newly-formed Carolina RailHawks women's professional team will have its home debut on May 16th at 7:30 pm against the Atlanta Silverbacks.
For information on tickets for the March 28 game against the New York Red Bulls and the RailHawks men's and women's 2008 schedules, please visit www.carolinarailhawks.com or call the LGFCU Box Office at 919-859-5425.
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from March 7, 2008
- Carolina RailHawks Add Local Talent To Roster - North Carolina FC
- Silverbacks Weekly - Atlanta Silverbacks
- Timbers Sign Midfielder Arsene Oka For 2008 Season - Portland Timbers
- Charleston Battery signs Cuban striker Lester Moré - Charleston Battery
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina FC Stories
- Midfielders Steven Miller and Ben Speas to Return to North Carolina FC for 2020 Season
- North Carolina FC Falls to Birmingham Legion FC 3-2 in USL Championship Playoffs
- North Carolina FC Begins Postseason Play at Home on Wednesday against Birmingham Legion FC
- North Carolina FC Closes out Regular Season with Thrilling 1-0 Win as Captain Austin Da Luz Is Honored
- Goalkeeper Alex Tambakis Headlines NCFC Team Awards as Most Valuable Player