Cardinals Outlasts Royals to Take Appy Crown
The Johnson City Cardinals overcame a 5-3 Burlington lead in the seventh to win their 11th Appalchian League crown with an 8-6 win in the decisive game three.
The Cardinals were hot early, getting three on the board, powered by four hits in the opening frame. Jhon Torres and Malcolm Nunez would open with run scoring hits.
The lead would last until the third when Burlington would scratch across four runs in the bottom half of the inning. Michael Massey singled sharply to left to trim the lead, while Vinnie Pasquantino doubled home Maikel Garcia to knot the contest.
Jake Means would execute a safety squeeze to score Massey, with Will Hancock wrapping the frame with a RBI single scoring Pasquantino.
The lead would hold until the seventh, as the Cards would take the lead with a four run outburst. The critical blow for the City came from William Jimenez as he roped a two run double to right, giving Johnson City a lead they would not relinquish.
Jack Gethings hit a solo blast to right to trim the margin to 8-6 in the seventh. However, Dylan Pearce would turn away the Royals in the ninth, coaxing a fly ball to Carlos Soler to end the 2019 campaign. The save for Pearce accompanies the win he earned in the West Division Championship on Sunday.
Todd Lott, Mateo Gil and Malcolm Nunez led the 13 hit attack for the Cardinals with multi-hit games. Will Guay took the win in relief for Johnson City.
Donavin Buck would suffer the loss in relief.
The loss for Burlington ends their season one game short of the organization's first title as a Royals affiliate.
The Burlington Royals organization are grateful to the community supoort throughout 2019. For more info on your hometown club over the winter, log onto www.burlingtonroyals.com.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from September 4, 2019
- Cardinals Outlasts Royals to Take Appy Crown - Burlington Royals
- Cards Rebound in Burlington, Championship Rubber Match Set for Wednesday - Johnson City Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Burlington Royals Stories
- "Keep Hope. Never Give Up." the Mission Statement of Kort Peterson's Life
- After Losing his Mom, Brhet Bewley Hears her Every Step of the Way
- New Ownership & Front Office of the Burlington Royals AnnouncedÃÂ
- For the Health of the Players, and Love for the Game... That's Brad Groleau.
- Royals Agree to Terms with 14 Players on Contracts for 2020