Cardinals Come up Short in 5-4 Loss to RockHounds
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. - The Springfield Cardinals (30-37; 60-77) dropped the first of a four-game series 5-4 against the Midland RockHounds (36-31; 70-66) in front of a sold-out Friday night crowd of 7,640 at Hammons Field.
The RockHounds clinched a spot in the Texas League playoffs with the win, which ensured them the second-best overall record in the South Division for the 2019 season.
W: RHP Seth Martinez (4-1)
L: RHP Ronnie Williams (2-3)
S: RHP John Gorman (8)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
- An inning after the Cardinals rallied from down 4-1 to tie the game, RockHounds RF Greg Deichmann hit what proved to be the game-winning home run off Williams with two outs in the ninth.
- After one-out singles by 3B Elehuris Montero and DH Chris Chinea in the bottom of the eighth, CF Conner Capel brought the Cardinals within 4-2 with an RBI single into left. Two batters later, C Julio Rodriguez ripped a comebacker into center that scored Chinea and Capel and tied things 4-4. The Cardinals had two chances to push the go-ahead run home from scoring position, but a flyout by 1B Zach Kirtley and a groundout by 2B Kramer Robertson ended the inning.
- The Cardinals scored first in the game on a first-inning RBI single from Chinea that brought in Ascanio.
- Midland took its first lead in the second, tying the game on a double by CF Mickey McDonald and going ahead 2-1 on a bases-loaded walk of SS Mikey White issued by RHP Merandy Gonzalez.
- Rehabbing St. Louis Cardinals OF Jose Martinez finished his fifth and expected final rehab appearance with Springfield 1-for-3 with a strikeout. Martinez batted 8-for-16 with one double, one steal and four RBIs during his rehab stint.
- Chinea and Capel both finished with two-hit games for the Cardinals. Capel now has at least two hits in three of his last five games, pushing his average to its highest point since April 20.
- Gonzalez allowed three runs on seven hits and three walks in his first non-relief appearance of the season for Springfield, striking out two.
- LHP Jacob Patterson tossed 3.1 effective innings, allowing one run on five hits and one walk to five strikeouts.
WHAT'S ON DECK:
-The Cardinals continue their final series of the 2019 season Saturday night against the RockHounds. First pitch is scheduled for 6:10 p.m. with gates opening at 5:10 p.m.
Saturday is our St. Louis Cardinals 2004 National League Championship Beer Stein Giveaway for 2,000 fans aged 21+.
Plus, it's Post-Game Fireworks with the Top Hits of 2019.
It's also our annual Specialty Teal Jersey Auction to benefit GYN Cancer Alliance.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Sod Poodles Ninth-Inning Rally Falls Short in 9-7 Loss to Travelers - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Naturals Split Twin Bill with Roughriders - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- RockHounds Clinch Playoff Birth - Midland RockHounds
- Riders Split Twin Bill with Naturals - Frisco RoughRiders
- Cardinals Come up Short in 5-4 Loss to RockHounds - Springfield Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Cardinals Stories
- Elf on the Shelf Ornaments Have Arrived
- Time Running out to See Ozzie Smith at Dinner on the Diamond
- Hammons Field Wins Texas League Field of the Year for 9th-Straight Season
- Cardinals Fall 11-6 to RockHounds in Season Finale
- Cardinals Downed by RockHounds, Season Closes on Monday Afternoon