Caps Earn Point in Hard Fought Road Battle with Waterloo, Fall in OT
The Madison Capitols come away with one point tonight on the road as they fall 2-1 to the Waterloo Black Hawks in overtime at a hostile Young Arena.
Caps forward Brendan Lamb got the scoring started tonight when he squeaked home a shot 5-hole from the right side faceoff dot 2:35 into the 2nd period. The contest would remain 1-0 until the 7:13 mark of the 3rd period when Waterloo was finally able to beat Caps netminder Simon Latkoczy. Latkoczy was sharp all night long and made a plethora of huge saves for the Capitols. He turned aside 34 of the 36 shots he faced.
Madison drew a 5-minute power play with 1:46 left in regulation that carried over into the extra period but were unable to find the back of the net. The final 1:23 of the man advantage was nullified as the Caps were caught with too many men on the ice. As the penalty expired, Waterloo scored from the high slot to take the extra point and win this evening.
"It was a good hard earned point on the road," Caps bench boss Tom Upton said. "We would have liked that second point in overtime but that's how it goes sometimes. We've ended up on the top end of most of those situations this year but tonight we ended up with just the one point. We didn't get any points last week so coming in here and getting one out of two points on the road isn't bad."
The Capitols will enjoy their Thanksgiving and then get right back to work. Madison heads to Michigan on Friday for a two-game series with the Muskegon Lumberjacks.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from November 25, 2021
- RoughRiders Edge Hawks in OT - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Waldron, Penalty Killers Boost Hawks - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Caps Earn Point in Hard Fought Road Battle with Waterloo, Fall in OT - Madison Capitols
- Fighting Saints' Offense Feasts on Green Bay - Dubuque Fighting Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Capitols Stories
- Caps Late Rally Falls Just Short, Split Weekend with Lumberjacks
- Caps Jump on Lumberjacks Early and Dominate in Series Opener
- Caps Earn Point in Hard Fought Road Battle with Waterloo, Fall in OT
- Caps Set to Close out November with Trio of Road Games
- Steel Knock off Capitols in Weekend Finale