Candace Parker Wins WNBA Player of the Week Honors
The WNBA announced today that Los Angeles Sparks forward/center Candace Parker won Player of the Week honors for the week ending Sept. 8, along with Mystics forward Elena Delle Donne. Parker led the Sparks to a 3-0 record last week and helped the team secure the third seed in the WNBA playoffs as the team finished the season 22-12 and 15-2 at home. For the week, Parker averaged 17.3 points, 9.0 rebounds and 3.7 assists, while shooting 52.8% from the field.
On Sept. 3, Parker led a Sparks team that was resting Nneka Ogwumike to a 70-60 win over the Atlanta Dream. She had a double-double with 21 points, 11 rebounds, six assists and two blocks. She followed up that performance by scoring 20 points and grabbing nine rebounds to help the Sparks beat the Storm 102-68, tied for the second largest margin of victory in franchise history. She ended the week with 11 points, seven rebounds and three assists in limited minutes as the Sparks completed a season sweep of the Minnesota Lynx on Sept. 8. The Sparks finished the season riding a 14-game home winning streak at Staples Center.
The Sparks will face either the Phoenix Mercury, Seattle Storm or Minnesota Lynx on Sunday, Sept. 15 at Noon PT at Staples Center in the second round of the WNBA playoffs.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from September 9, 2019
- Phoenix's Griner, Connecticut's Jones and Chicago's Vandersloot Earn 2019 WNBA Peak Performer Awards - WNBA
- Mystics Single Game Playoff Tickets to Go on Sale - Washington Mystics
- Seattle Storm to Begin Title Defense at Home against the Minnesota Lynx - Seattle Storm
- Sky General Manager and Head Coach James Wade Comments on Rescinding of Technical Foul - Chicago Sky
- Candace Parker Wins WNBA Player of the Week Honors - Los Angeles Sparks
- Pokey Chatman Will Not Return as Head Coach & General Manager - Indiana Fever
- WNBA Statement on Chicago Sky vs. Washington Mystics Game - WNBA
- Sky Head into Playoffs Having Shattered Series of Records, But Fall 100-86 to Mystics in Final Game of Regular Season - Chicago Sky
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.