Canadian GK Callum Irving Back with Fury FC
OTTAWA - Ottawa Fury FC announced the return of Canadian goalkeeper Callum Irving to the formation on Thursday. Irving, who spent the last two seasons in Ottawa, is the club's third keeper to join Fury FC this season and will be fighting for a starter role.
Irving joined Ottawa in 2017 after splitting the previous season in the USL between Rio Grande Valley FC Toros before being loaned to MLS side Houston Dynamo. After a strong 2017 season, Irving entered last season facing tough competition in two Canadian teammates, Maxime Crépeau, who ended up winning USL Championship goalkeeper of the year, and David Monsalve, who is also on the Fury FC roster this season. Irving featured in two games USL games and the CapCity Cup in 2018, maintaining a high passing success rate of 88%.
In 2017, the Vancouver, British Columbia native set a record for playing every minute of every game for the club. He played 36 matches that translated into 3,240 minutes and ended up with seven clean sheets and 78 saves. In recognition of his efforts, the 25-year-old was awarded the Fury Fans' Player of the Year and also shared the Newcomer of the Year award with Sergio Manesio. The year before, while with Rio Grande Valley FC, he had recorded eight shutouts in 14 appearances, allowing only nine goals.
The 6-foot-1 goalkeeper played four years at the University of Kentucky in NCAA Division 1. He was a two-year team captain, two-time Conference Player of the Year (Conference USA), two-time NSCAA All-American and two-time NSCAA All-American Scholar.
Irving is a product of the Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy (2007-12), where his success there translated into opportunities in the Canadian National Team system with the U18 and U20 sides. He received his first call-up with Canada's Men's National Team for an International Friendly match against the United States in January of 2016, and has also featured in goal in 2017 against Bermuda in an international friendly match.
2019 Fury FC roster breakdown
Forwards (5): Daniels*, François, Hundal*, Kinumbe*, Oliveira
Midfielders (6): De Freitas, Fall, Gagnon-Laparé*, Mannella*, Ricci*, Ward
Defenders (9): Attakora*, Barnathan, Boskovic*, Dixon*, Haworth*, Meilleur-Giguère*, Obasi, Tissot*, Vilfort*
Goalkeepers (3): Irving*, Monsalve*, Tisseur*
* denotes Canadian player
Ottawa Fury FC opened its 2019 USL Championship season with its first point on the road in a season opener this past Saturday against Charleston. The lads will look to top that performance this weekend as they visit expansion team Birmingham Legion FC (Saturday, March 16, 8 p.m.).
Fury FC will return to TD Place on Saturday, April 6 for its home opener. Fury FC Family can get in on the action right away by purchasing a season membership, or the new Fury+ subscription which gets them access to all regular season home matches for only $30 per month per seat! For more information on Fury+ and other season membership options and perks, as well as how to purchase single game tickets, visit OttawaFuryFC.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 14, 2019
- Rio Grande Valley FC Signs Forward Michael Salazar - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Phoenix Rising FC Acquires Four Players on Loan from LAFC - Phoenix Rising FC
- Legion FC Adds Herivaux, Wright from New England Revs - Birmingham Legion FC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs. Louisville City FC - Atlanta United 2
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC at Birmingham Legion FC - Ottawa Fury FC
- Las Vegas Lights FC Match Preview at OKC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Republic FC Unveil Winning Fan Design for New Glory Craft Brewery Collaboration - Sacramento Republic FC
- Match Preview: Austin Bold FC Continues Road Trip with Match in Reno on Saturday - Austin Bold FC
- Continental Tire Continues Partnership with North Carolina Football in 2019 - North Carolina FC
- Four Memphis 901 FC Players Earn International Call-Ups - Memphis 901 FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC at Tampa Bay Rowdies - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Canadian GK Callum Irving Back with Fury FC - Ottawa Fury FC
- USL Unveils New Vision for Academy Landscape - USL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Ottawa Fury FC Stories
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC at Louisville City FC
- Fury FC Signs Trialist Protais Mutambala
- Oliveira Makes 18-Player Selection for Championship Team of the Week
- Fury FC Secures Clean Sheet at Home in 2-0 Win over Loudoun United FC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC V Loudoun United FC