By the Numbers: Lions Fight the Fire
22 - Bright Beginnings
Orlando City have 19 points (5-2-4) in their first 11 MLS regular season matches under Oscar Pareja, just one point shy of the 2017 campaign for best start in club history. Should Orlando take all three points from Chicago on Saturday, their 22 points would mark the best 12-game start to a season the club has ever had.
15 - Chris climbing
Chris Mueller has enjoyed a breakout 2020 season with 6 G/4 A, with an assist on Mauricio Pereyra's game winner over Miami this past Saturday night. Mueller's assist was the 15th of his MLS career, passing Carlos Rivas for second in club history. Mueller trails only 2007 Ballon d'Or winner KakÃ¡ in the category.
8 with 10 - An exclusive club
Mueller also finds himself in rarefied air so far in 2020 in terms of his output. Only eight players in the league have at least ten goal contributions this season, and Mueller ranks among them. Of the other seven, four have made an MLS All-Star team: LAFC's Diego Rossi, Columbus' Gyasi Zardes, Houston's Darwin Quintero, and Toronto's Alejandro Pozuelo. The other three are not exactly slouches, either-Seattle duo Raul Ruidiaz and Jordan Morris are both regular internationals who won MLS Cup last season, while LA Galaxy's Cristian Pavon has lit the league on fire since arriving from Argentina last summer.
10 - One is usually enough
For as great as Orlando City have been on the whole in 2020, the clean sheet has been somewhat elusive-the Lions have just two in 15 matches in all competitions, a 0-0 draw with Real Salt Lake in the season opener all the way back in February and a 1-0 win over Montreal in the MLS is Back Round of 16. But Orlando have not made a habit of giving up multiple goals, either. Only in a loss to Colorado in March, the MLS is Back final against Portland, and the August 22 loss to Miami did Orlando City allow more than one goal. So, if you're following along, that means 10 of the Lions' 15 matches this year, a whopping two-thirds of their games, have seen them allow exactly one goal. Orlando are an unbeaten 6-0-4 in those 10 matches.
1.5 - FAIRWINDS Credit Union
Score up to 1.5% cash back and LionNation points when you use your FAIRWINDS Orlando City Visa® or Orlando Pride Visa® on game day purchases and everyday essentials. Apply today and get purple carded.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 16, 2020
- Rapids Wilt vs. Dallas - Colorado Rapids
- Loudoun United FC Lose 4-0 to Philadelphia Union II on the Road - D.C. United
- By the Numbers: Lions Fight the Fire - Orlando City SC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Quick Hits: Walker Zimmerman Ready to Take on USMNT Teammates in Columbus - Nashville SC
- Timbers Face San Jose Earthquakes in Road Match Tonight - Portland Timbers
- LAFC's Diego Rossi Pacing Golden Boot Race Among Fastest Starts: MLS Week 12 News & Notes - MLS
- Earthquakes Take on Portland Timbers Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Banc of California Stadium Receives Gbac Star Facility Accreditation - Los Angeles FC
- Columbus Crew SC Hires Patrice Croci as Vice President of Marketing - Columbus Crew SC
- MLSE Names Teri Dennis-Davies New Senior Vice President, Equity, Inclusion and Diversity - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Lions Play to 1-1 Draw with CF Montréal
- Orlando City Hosts CF Montréal for Midweek Matchup
- Júnior Urso Nets Game-Winner in Lions' 1-0 Victory at FC Cincinnati
- Orlando City Returns to Action at FC Cincinnati
- Daryl Dike Ranks Second in Star-Studded 22 Under 22 Presented by BODYARMOR Rankings