Bulls Fall 5-3 to Odessa
AMARILLO, TX - An old rival ended the Amarillo Bulls 20 game unbeaten string on Friday night at the Budweiser Bull Pen in the Amarillo Civic Center.
The visiting Odessa Jackalopes fired four third period goals to rally from a 3-1 deficit and beat the Bulls 5-3. That's the first regulation loss by Rocky Russo's charges since Saturday, Oct. 20 and it also snapped a franchise equaling 12 game winning streak.
Brett Abdelnour, Brendan West and Logan Jenuwine tallied for Amarillo, while Jason Grande took the loss in goal. Alex Peterson and Gabriel Seger each set up two goals.
James Crossman scored his first of two in a row for the Jackalopes with 5:02 to go in regulation to snap a 3-3 tie. Other goal getters were Jack Conroy, Connor Smith, and Michael Sacco. Alex Camarre kept his team in the game with timely saves to notch the win in goal.
Special teams produced the offense in the opening 20 minutes. Brett Abdelnour gave the Bulls a 1-0 lead via the power play as his turnaround shot in front of the net went off a Jackalopes player and into the net. Later in the stanza, the same power play produced two goals as the Jackalopes tied the game when Jack Conroy converted a 2-on-1 break up the ice. Just over a minute later, Brendan West tipped home a shot from Alex Peterson and Logan Jenuwine. Amarillo outshot Odessa 17-16 in the first period.
The Bulls netted the lone goal of the middle period as Logan Jenuwine scored from the slot area on a pass from Alex Peterson with help from Gabriel Seger. Odessa outshot Amarillo 15-11 in the stanza.
The visitors mounted their comeback charge in the third period as Connor Smith scored at the 6:12 mark. Odessa's offense then went to work over the final eight minutes of regulation with goals off the sticks of Michael Sacco and then James Crossman's rocket to take the lead. The Bulls pulled their goaltender in the final 90 seconds, but surrendered an empty net goal by Crossman to round out the scoring.
The Odessa Jackalopes outshot the Amarillo Bulls 42-39. The visitors were 0 for 4 on the power play, while the Bulls were 2 for 3.
The Amarillo Bulls look to start another streak tomorrow (Saturday) night when they close out a series with the Jackalopes at 7 pm at the Budweiser Bull Pen in the Amarillo Civic Center. It's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Night and all teenagers and children are invited to get dress up for the game. There is a $10 ticket special for teenagers and children.
Tickets are available at the Bulls Office located at 301 South Polk, Civic Center Box Office and all Panhandle Ticket locations including United Supermarkets or online at www.panhandletickets.com and www.amarillobulls.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2019
- Bulls Fall 5-3 to Odessa - Amarillo Bulls
- Pilots Drop Series Opener to Brahmas, 4-2 - Topeka Pilots
- Bruins Doubled up by Aberdeen, 6-3 - Austin Bruins
- Merrell Nets Two in 5-0 Win over Maryland - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Tomahawks Win Rough Affair - Maryland Black Bears
- Kasparaitis, Kennedy Suit up for Charity Game vs. Johnstown Warriors - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Brahmas Notebook: January 11-12 vs. Topeka - Lone Star Brahmas
- Quick Hits: NAHL Game 34 Preview - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights
- Wings Travel to Austin for 1 vs. 2 Match up in the NAHL Central Division - Aberdeen Wings
- Steel Embark on Alaska Road Trip - Chippewa Steel
- Home Cooking - Minot Minotauros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.