Bugs Sting IceRays
The Shreveport Mudbugs (8-5) beat the Corpus Christi Ice Rays, 3-2 on a late tally from Conor Witherspoon in front of a packed crowd at George's Pond in Hirsch Coliseum.
Corpus Christi opened up the scoring when Artur Turansky threw an innocent shot that found it's way through from the left corner to give the Ice Rays an early 1-0 lead at 11:08 of the first period. The Bugs came right back at 12:42 when Sam Miller darted a shot through from the left point to earn his fourth goal of the season tying the score, 1-1. Matt Weber and Jack Smiley earned the assists on Miller's tally. Ice Rays led in SOG, 16-6 after one period of play.
The Bugs grabbed their first lead of the game when Matt Weber stole the puck and slipped in his second goal of the year in front all alone giving Shreveport a 2-1 lead at 10:54 of the 2nd period. The Ice Rays responded though with a late tally at 18:55 when Erik Bargholtz took a perfect pass from Ryan Coughlin on a 2-1 odd man rush and wristed in a game-tying goal. The Bugs outshot the Ice Rays, 16-10 in the middle period.
The Mudbugs broke a 2-2 tie at 10:34 of the 3rd period when Dawson Sciarrino led a 3 on 1 rush up the ice and dished a perfect pass to Conor Witherspoon who slammed home his first goal of the season from the short side giving Shreveport a 3-2 lead. The Bugs held off a late surge from the Ice Rays to preserve a 3-2 victory.
Maiszon Balboa earns his fifth win of the season making 36 saves on the night.
The Mudbugs and Ice Rays conclude their two-game series tomorrow night at George's Pond in Hirsch Coliseum. It's Wizard night at the pond and puck drop is scheduled for 7:11 p.m. â
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from October 19, 2019
- Mudbugs Shutout Ice Rays - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Unfavorable First Period Dooms Bruins, Fall to Bismarck 3-0 - Austin Bruins
- Mudbugs Complete Weekend Sweep of IceRays - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Riley Murphy Plays in His 200th NAHL Game - Aberdeen Wings
- Tomahawks Split Series with Knights - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Pilots Knock off Jr. Blues, on Strength of Strong Performances by Kennedy and Dobes - Topeka Pilots
- How Bout Them Pineapples - Aberdeen Wings
- Glamos and Machlitt Score Twice to Lead Titans to 6-1 Home Opener Victory - New Jersey Titans
- Bulls Win Fourth Straight in Shootout Thriller with Lone Star - Amarillo Bulls
- Bugs Sting IceRays - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Randazzo Shuts out Ice Wolves 2-0 - Odessa Jackalopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.