Bugs Shutout & Sweep the Blues
The Shreveport Mudbugs (30-14) scored early and shutout the Springfield Jr. Blues, 4-0 Saturday night in front of another packed house at George's Pond in Hirsch Coliseum.
Shreveport lit the lamp first at 5:09 of the opening period when Warren Natyshak slid a perfect pass through the slot and Ryan Waltman hammered home his ninth goal of the season giving the Bugs an early 1-0 edge. Natyshak and Alexis Girard earned the helpers. The Bugs added to their lead at 8:05 of the period when Jacob Smith threw in his 13th goal of the year through traffic from the LW circle making it a 2-0 contest. Brent Keefer and Tim Khokhlachev picked up the assists. Shreveport led in SOG, 17-6 after one period of play.
The Bugs added to their lead in the 2nd period when Carson Nichols raced up the ice and flipped in his eighth goal of the year from the RW circle at 4:22 to give Shreveport a 3-0 lead. Sam Miller earned the only assist on the goal. Shreveport then cashed in on an odd-man rush shorthanded when Matt Weber rammed in his second goal in as many games from the short side at 17:32 making it a 4-0 contest. David Breazeale and Gio Procopio earned the assists on the tally.
There was no scoring in the third period as Shreveport preserved the shutout to win and sweep the Jr. Blues by a final score of 4-0.
Richie Parent stopped all 21 shots he faced to earn his 15th win and 4th shutout of the season.
The Bugs win for the 10th time in their last 13 contests.
The Bugs will host the South division leading Amarillo Bulls for a two-game series next Friday and Saturday night at George's Pond in Hirsch Coliseum. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:11 p.m. for both contests. â
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from February 8, 2020
- Jackalopes Blanked in North Richland Hills - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bugs Shutout & Sweep the Blues - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Shoudy's Two Goals Boost Bruins in Paint the Rink Pink Win over St. Cloud, 5-2 - Austin Bruins
- Six Different Goal Scorers Lead Rebels to Victory over Knights - Jamestown Rebels
- Steel Shutout Magicians at Home to Wrap up Series - Chippewa Steel
- Tomahawks Get Weekend Sweep over Generals - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Pilots Fall to Bulls 6-1 in Series Opener - Topeka Pilots
- Wings Hold on for Friday Win - Aberdeen Wings
- Gendron and Pugliese Help Lead Titans to 6-4 Win over Black Bears - New Jersey Titans
- Jets Soar over Brown Bears - Kenai River Brown Bears
- Jackalopes Fall 5-1 to Lone Star - Odessa Jackalopes
- IceRays Snap Streak with 2-1 Win Friday - Corpus Christi IceRays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.