Bucks Beat Rayz 4-2
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - The Laredo Bucks got a pair of goals from forward James Hiebert as they beat the Corpus Christi Rayz 4-2 at the American Bank Center on Saturday night. The Bucks also got a great effort from goalie Dov Grumet-Morris as they picked up the road win. Laredo is 33-13-6 with a Southeast Division and Southern Conference best 72 points. Laredo returns home on Sunday to take on Oklahoma City in a 4 p.m. face off. For more information on 2005-06 Bucks single game or season tickets call the Bucks office at (956) 718-BUCKS (2825) or log onto www.laredobucks.com.
Fresh off a tough shut out loss to the Rayz on Friday the Bucks wasted no time getting on the scoreboard. Hiebert fanned on a shot from the slot, but defenseman Paul Elliott scooped up the puck and stuffed it in just 28 seconds into the game for a 1-0 Laredo lead. It was the fifth of the season for Elliott. The Bucks dominated play in the first getting numerous good scoring chances. At 18:28 forward Jeff Bes teed up a slap shot from the high slot along the ice that found the back of the net for a 2-0 Bucks lead. It was the 20th of the year for Bes.
In the second period the Bucks continued to carry the play, but neither team scored. Laredo out shot Corpus Christi 11-9 in the frame.
The Rayz quickly got back in the game in the third as forward Chris Robertson scored on a bank shot off Grumet-Morris from behind the goal line just 23 seconds into the frame. The Rayz then began to assert themselves as they got several good scoring chances. Grumet-Morris rebounded by stopping forward Tim Vtek with the right pad as he cut off the right wall, then he stoned forward Ryan Carter on a breakaway at the 10 minute mark of the period. Late in the frame with Corpus on a power play chance Grumet-Morris made a huge stop on Rayz forward Derrick McIver to keep the Bucks in the lead. With less than four minutes to go Hiebert picked up a loose puck, cut in front and stuffed it home for a 3-1 lead and his 18th of the season. The Rayz refused to quit as McIver scored with 1:06 left and the extra attacker on with the goalie pulled to make it a one goal game. Hiebert had the answer as he wristed home an empty netter at 19:12 to seal the Bucks win. FINAL SCORE Laredo 4, Corpus Christi 2.
Grumet-Morris stopped 32 of 34 shots and got the win to improve to 13-4-2. Reid allowed three goals on 37 shots and took the loss to fall to 13-16-1. The Bucks were 0-4 on the power play while Corpus Christi was 0-7. Laredo out shot the Rayz 38-34.
Laredo Bucks season tickets are on sale for the 2005-06 CHL campaign. Season tickets are the only way to guarantee your seats for every Bucks game at the LEC. Season ticket holders enjoy exclusive offers including pre-season and post-season parties. Contact a Bucks representative today at (956)-718-BUCKS (2825).
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 25, 2006
- Eagles Down Blazers 4-3 in Shootout - Colorado Eagles
- Ice Bats End Bat Cave Run in Style, 4-3 - Austin Ice Bats
- Lubbock Edges Amarillo 2-1 - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Laredo beats Corpus Christi 4-2 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bucks Beat Rayz 4-2 - Laredo Bucks
- Bees swarm RiverKings for seven goals - Mississippi RiverKings
- Hounds lose to Bossier-Shreveport - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Killer Bees game notes - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Postgame party Saturday night at Flying Saucer - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Darryl Lloyd Earns Second Call-Up To The AHL - Youngstown SteelHounds
- RiverKings road game preview - Mississippi RiverKings
- Sunday Game Reminder - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Cotton Kings Game Night Preview vs. Amarillo - Lubbock Cotton Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.