Darryl Lloyd Earns Second Call-Up To The AHL
YOUNGSTOWN, OHIO - Youngstown SteelHounds Head Coach J.F. Laforest announced today that forward Darryl Lloyd has been re-called by the Cleveland Barons, the SteelHounds primary American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate and affiliate of the National Hockey League's (NHL) San Jose Sharks.
"Darryl has earned this privilege and has played very well all season long for us," said Laforest. "We hate to lose Darryl before such an important game but know that the opportunity for him to get playing time in the American Hockey League is a good portion of what we are about here. Player development is a main priority for us and we are proud Darryl has earned this honor."
Lloyd, 22, has played in 52 games for the SteelHounds this season ranking third on the team with 34 points and fourth with 13 goals. His 169 penalty minutes are second most on the SteelHounds. Prior to the season, Lloyd participated in Barons training camp before being assigned to the SteelHounds.
The Pickering, Ontario native earned his first call-up on February 3rd and played in the Barons game on the afternoon of February 4th versus the Peoria Rivermen. Lloyd did not record a point and was an even for the game. The same day he returned home to the Mahoning Valley to play for the Hounds in their evening game versus Memphis.
Lloyd was acquired by the SteelHounds in the CHL's Expansion Draft held in early June. Last season, he played with the Southern Conference Champion Laredo Bucks scoring 13 goals with 22 assists and 103 penalty minutes during his rookie campaign. The 5-10, 198-pound forward played his junior hockey with the Windsor Spitfires (Ontario Hockey League) where he totaled 83 career points (44-39=83) in 200 career games.
Lloyd is expected to be in the Baron's line-up tonight when they play in the Windy City against the Chicago Wolves (AHL affiliate of the Atlanta Thrashers).
The SteelHounds host the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs tonight at the Chevrolet Centre with face-off scheduled for 7:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 25, 2006
- Eagles Down Blazers 4-3 in Shootout - Colorado Eagles
- Ice Bats End Bat Cave Run in Style, 4-3 - Austin Ice Bats
- Lubbock Edges Amarillo 2-1 - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Laredo beats Corpus Christi 4-2 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bucks Beat Rayz 4-2 - Laredo Bucks
- Bees swarm RiverKings for seven goals - Mississippi RiverKings
- Hounds lose to Bossier-Shreveport - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Killer Bees game notes - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Postgame party Saturday night at Flying Saucer - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Darryl Lloyd Earns Second Call-Up To The AHL - Youngstown SteelHounds
- RiverKings road game preview - Mississippi RiverKings
- Sunday Game Reminder - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Cotton Kings Game Night Preview vs. Amarillo - Lubbock Cotton Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Youngstown SteelHounds Stories
- SteelHounds Franchise Terminated?
- Franck And Richards Honored As Team MVP's
- Hounds Offer Early Bird Specials for 08-09 Season Tickets
- SteelHounds Weekly
- Hounds season ends in 1-0 loss