Hounds lose to Bossier-Shreveport
Youngstown, OH. - The Youngstown SteelHounds (20-29-4) battled back to earn a point on Saturday night at the Chevrolet Centre but fell in overtime to the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs (32-13-6) by a final score of 5-4. Jeff Christian and Joey Sewell each had a pair of goals and an assist, while Chad Spurr scored a pair of goals including the game winner.
The Mudbugs scored the first goal of the game at the 6:37 mark when Chad Spurr found himself all alone at the side of the net and Blair Manning found him for his 16th goal of the season assisted by Manning and Scott Sheppard. Youngstown tied the game while on the power play when Matt Hanson blasted a one-timer that Jeff Christian re-directed for his 47th goal of the season assisted by Kelly Sickavish and Hanson at the 7:57 mark of the period. The Mudbugs regained the lead on a defensive zone turnover that led to Scott Sheppard scoring his 26th goal of the season in his 25th game with Bossier-Shreveport. Brett Smith drew the lone assist. The Hounds outshot the Mudbugs 13-9 in the period.
The Mudbugs added to their lead early in the second period with Dan Wildfong scoring his 23rd goal of the season assisted by Jason Campbell and Smith. The Hounds answered quickly with Chris Richards feeding Jeff Christian with a perfect pass that saw Christian guide the puck into the net for his 48th goal of the season and second of the night. Richards and Joey Sewell had the assists. Bossier-Shreveport re-gained their two-goal advantage with a shorthanded goal by Shane Palahicky, his fifth goal of the season. Trailing 4-2, the Hounds put pressure on Cacciola late in the period with Sewell scoring from just in front of the net with three seconds remaining in the period. Christian and Richards had the assists. Youngstown outshot the Mudbugs 7-5 in the period and held a 20-14 two period lead.
In the third period, the Hounds tied the game at the 8:27 mark with Sewell creating a turnover and walking in scoring his second goal of the night and 14th of the season. Richards drew the only assist, his third of the game. There was a lengthy delay with 4:51 remaining in the third period as Dale Lupul collapsed on the ice and was taken off on a stretcher. After the delay, both teams received power play chances but neither could find the back of the net sending the game to overtime.
In the overtime, the Mudbugs took advantage of a collision with a SteelHounds player and a linesman and used a two-on-one rush to have Chad Spurr find the back of the net for his 17th goal of the season and second of the game.
The final shots in the game favored Youngstown 34-29 as Cacciola made 30 saves improving to 9-3-2 for the season and St. Germain stopped 29 saves falling to 15-22-3.
The SteelHounds will face the Austin Ice Bats on Tuesday night with face-off scheduled for 7:05 PM (EST).
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 25, 2006
- Eagles Down Blazers 4-3 in Shootout - Colorado Eagles
- Ice Bats End Bat Cave Run in Style, 4-3 - Austin Ice Bats
- Lubbock Edges Amarillo 2-1 - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Laredo beats Corpus Christi 4-2 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bucks Beat Rayz 4-2 - Laredo Bucks
- Bees swarm RiverKings for seven goals - Mississippi RiverKings
- Hounds lose to Bossier-Shreveport - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Killer Bees game notes - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Postgame party Saturday night at Flying Saucer - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Darryl Lloyd Earns Second Call-Up To The AHL - Youngstown SteelHounds
- RiverKings road game preview - Mississippi RiverKings
- Sunday Game Reminder - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Cotton Kings Game Night Preview vs. Amarillo - Lubbock Cotton Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Youngstown SteelHounds Stories
- SteelHounds Franchise Terminated?
- Franck And Richards Honored As Team MVP's
- Hounds Offer Early Bird Specials for 08-09 Season Tickets
- SteelHounds Weekly
- Hounds season ends in 1-0 loss