Brevard's 2013 Season Ends with 7-4 Loss at Daytona
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - The 20th season of Brevard County Manatees' baseball concluded on Sunday evening at Jackie Robinson Ballpark with a 7-4 loss to the Daytona Cubs.
Brevard County (29-38 second half, 66-68 overall) jumped on the board early with a two-run home run by Yadiel Rivera in the top of the first inning, but that vanished quickly.
Daytona (40-20, 75-51) responded with three runs in the bottom of the opening frame as they drew four walks and recorded two hits against Manatees' starter Damien Magnifico (0-2, 6.08 ERA). The first of the hits was a run-scoring single from Dustin Geiger, followed two batters later by Kris Bryant's two-run triple.
Magnifico pitched just one inning and did not factor into the decision.
The Manatees immediately fought back to tie the game in the top of the second and it started with a leadoff double by Cody Hawn. Greg Hopkins then smacked a single to center - the first of his three hits - to bring the run home.
A single and a walk in the bottom of the third for Daytona, allowed Vogelbach to score on a throwing error by Yadiel Rivera to give the Cubs a 4-3 edge.
Once again, Brevard responded in the very next half inning to even the score, with Hopkins singling and scoring on a Brandon Macias double.
That was it for the Manatees' offense, with Daytona scoring twice in the sixth inning and again in the seventh. A pair of doubles from Bryant and Chadd Krist, followed by a single from Pin-Chieh Chen, put the Cubs up, 6-4, through six.
Taylor Mangum took the loss as the fifth of six total pitchers used by the Manatees. One of the three runs that he allowed in two innings of work was unearned. Of the six total men he retired, five were on strikeouts.
The Manatees finished 2013 with a .493 overall winning percentage, which is the franchise's best mark since 2009.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from September 1, 2013
- Brevard's 2013 Season Ends with 7-4 Loss at Daytona - Brevard County Manatees
- Threshers Season Ends in 16-2 Loss to Dunedin - Clearwater Threshers
- FSL North Playoff Preview - Daytona Tortugas
- Cards drop season finale 3-2 - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Vargas Lifts Miracle to 3-2 Walk-Off Win over Bradenton - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Marauders Set New Attendance High Marks - Bradenton Marauders
- Errors Doom Cards as Crabs Rally Late - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Threshers Batter Blue Jays 6-0 in 2013 Home Finale - Clearwater Threshers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.