Brahmas Notebook: Dec 14-16 vs. Shreveport
NORTH RICHLAND HILLS, TX - The Brahmas make their first trip to Shreveport this weekend for a three-game set against their longtime rivals, the Mudbugs.
Gameday Need-to-Know The Brahmas and Mudbugs play two three-in-threes in Shreveport this season - this is the first of those three-game sets. The teams are scheduled to play Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. All three contests are night games, with puck drop scheduled for 7:11 PM.
If you are planning to make the three-hour drive to Shreveport, single game tickets can be purchased online or by calling 318-636-7094.
All games will be streamed live on HockeyTV. An audio stream will also be available here.
Season Head-to-Head Despite being their closest opponents, the Brahmas have played the Mudbugs just three times this season. All three games have been played at the NYTEX Sports Centre, where the Brahmas own a 2-0-1 overall record against the Bugs.
It's worth noting that two of three games have gone to the shootout - each team has one win.
Clayton Lackey is the Brahmas' leading scorer against the Mudbugs, with two goals in three games. Rookie forward Matt Guerra has a goal and an assist.
On the flip side, Connor Witherspoon has been successful against Lone Star, with two goals of his own in the three games played.
The Brahmas are playing with a lineup decimated by injury. Forward Brendon Jones should be making his return to the ice this weekend, but there will still be several bodies missing.
With all the injuries currently in play, one key for Lone Star this weekend will be getting some offense from their depth players.
Speaking of offense... Goals have been hard to come by lately. Although the team has certainly run into some hot goaltenders in the last few weeks, two goals per weekend isn't going to cut it. The Brahmas will be looking to simplify their game on the road and get on the board quickly.
This is the first time since the showcase that the Brahmas will be playing three games in three days. He Said It... "We've had a really good week of practice. In Amarillo, they were both really tight games, could've gone either way but the guys have been working hard and have been very focused. We're excited for the three-in-three in Shreveport against our rivals. Dan's been preaching how to play a good road hockey game a ton. We just need be simple, get pucks deep, play hard on the forecheck, be really tough to play against. Make plays when the opportunities arise and capitalize on those chances.
With all the injuries right now, the guys that haven't necessarily gotten those big minutes are getting a great opportunity to step up and the guys that are still in the lineup need to keep doing what they're doing. It'll be a full team effort."
Rookie forward and Brahmas leading scorer Matt Guerra, on what needs to happen for the team to succeed this weekend.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from December 14, 2018
- Fwd: Bulls Dump Pilots 7-0 - Amarillo Bulls
- Steel Win in Shootout - Chippewa Steel
- Briere's 5 Point Performance Paces Tomahawks to 7-3 Win over New Jersey - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Brahmas Notebook: Dec 14-16 vs. Shreveport - Lone Star Brahmas
- Titans Lose 4-2 against Black Bears, Shift Sights on Johnstown - New Jersey Titans
- Steel Weekend Preview - Chippewa Steel
- Brahmas Take Point in Amarillo - Lone Star Brahmas
- Weekend Preview - Bulls Visit Topeka for first time this season - Amarillo Bulls
- Vernon Slams the Door on Minot Thursday Night - Aberdeen Wings
- Seitz Records Another Hat Trick as IceRays Beat Odessa 7-3 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Penalties Sink Jackalopes, Fall to Corpus Christi 7-3 - Odessa Jackalopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.