Brahmas come back to beat Icerays 4-2
Two quick goals from Justin Kinnunen led the Texas Brahmas to a four-goal third period to come from behind to beat the Corpus Christi IceRays 4-2 Thursday night from the American Bank Center. The loss for the Rays was their first in regulation this season when leading after two periods and dropped their record to 17-20-4 on the season. The IceRays remained in sixth place in the Southern Conference, one point behind Arizona with a game in hand. Corpus Christi will complete the weekend with a pair of games on this road in Odessa on Friday and Saturday in Laredo. For more information on the IceRays, please call 361-814-PUCK or visit them online at www.ccrayz.com.
The IceRays scored early on the first power play of the game. Adam Powell scored on a rebound from the slot at 2:18 to give the IceRays a 1-0 lead. Powell's goal snapped a ten-game goal drought dating back to Jan 2nd - the last meeting between the Rays and Brahmas. The goal stood as the only of the opening stanza. The IceRays outshot the Brahmas 10-8 in the period.
The IceRays added to their lead in the second period on a nice play from their own zone down the ice. At 4:55 Bob Rapoza sprung Mark Tobin on a pass into the Texas zone. Tobin then left it for Chris Richards at the bottom of the slot and Richards snapped a shot through the legs of David Cacciola to make the score 2-0 IceRays. The Brahmas outshot the Rays 14-9 in the period.
The Brahmas turned the tables in the third period with four straight goals to complete the comeback. Justin Kinnunen scored 89 seconds apart early in the period to tie the score. Then at 12:19 Jason Deitsch scored to give the Brahmas their first lead of the game. Texas added an empty net goal when Scott Sheppard scored at 19:06.
Kris Tebbs (13-12-3) took the loss making 31 saves on 34 shots. David Cacciola (8-5) earned the win making 25 saves on 27 shots. The IceRays power play went 1-5 while the Brahmas went 1-3 on the man advantage. The IceRays were outshot the Brahmas 35-27.
The IceRays now head on the road to complete the weekend at Odessa on Friday night and Laredo on Saturday night. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or online at www.ccrayz.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 29, 2009
- Brahmas Beat Rays With Third Period Rally - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Bucks, Centomo Shutout Bees 1-0 - Laredo Bucks
- Brahmas come back to beat Icerays 4-2 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Sundogs Add NHL Experience to Roster in Forward Dwayne Hay - Arizona Sundogs
- Brahmas prepare for eventful weekend - Fort Worth Brahmas
- RiverKings Weekend - Mississippi RiverKings
- Mudbugs to Play Two at Home This Weekend - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Sundogs to Wear Special State of Arizona Themed Jerseys Saturday to Raise Money for Charity - Arizona Sundogs
- Sims Signs PTO With Norfolk Admirals - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks Start Weekend In Rio Tonight - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale