Bosua Leads Battery to Win over Birmingham
The Battery earned three points against Birmingham Legion at MUSC Health Stadium on Saturday night. The win extends the Battery's unbeaten streak at home to eight games.
Forward Romario Piggot scored his first goal of the season in the 26th minute to give the Battery a 1-0 lead. Arthur Bosua received a pass at the top of the box and held off a Birmingham defender, allowing Kotaro Higashi to come up into the play. Bosua laid a pass off to Higashi who then threaded a perfect ball into the path of Piggott. Piggott took a slight touch in the box and beat goalkeeper Matt VanOekel with a low shot to the far post. Piggott nearly doubled the lead in the 39th minute after getting onto the end of a cross from Nico Rittmeyer, but the attempt was saved.
Birmingham would grab a late first-half goal to level things at the break. Mikey Lopez scored for the Legion, beating Joe Kuzminsky from less than a yard out. Brian Wright rose above defender Kyle Nelson to head a pass towards the streaking Lopez and the midfielder tapped home a sliding effort in the 44th minute of play.
Bosua would snag his second goal in as many games with a penalty in the 75th minute. Higashi led the build up and played Bosua into the Birmingham box. Bosua had to work hard to get on the end of the pass before having a shot towards goal. Defender Mathieu Laurent attempted a sliding challenge but ended up blocking the shot with his hands. Bosua stepped up to the spot and placed a perfect penalty to the bottom left corner doubling the Battery's lead.
The Battery looked for their third of the evening, Bosua involved once again in setting up the chance. AJ Paterson found himself open a yard inside the box but hesitated on the shot and VanOekel was about to save. Paterson would find redemption on the missed chance in the third minute of stoppage. Nicque Daley occupied two defenders before finding Paterson coming in from the midfield. Paterson took his shot from a yard outside the box, deflecting up and in past VanOekel in the 93rd minute of the match.
The Battery host defending Major League Soccer champions, Atlanta United, in the Fourth Round of the U.S. Open Cup on June 11th at 7:30 PM at MUSC Health Stadium. Individual and group tickets are on sale .
CHARLESTON: Kuzminsky, van Schaik, Mueller, Nelson, Kelly (Marini 70'), Anunga, Candela, Rittmeyer (YC 82'), Higashi (Paterson 87', goal 90+3), Piggott (goal 26', Daley 62', YC 66'), Bosua (PEN 74')
Substitutes: Breno, Woodbine, Marini, Paterson, Svantesson, Daley
BIRMINGHAM: VanOekel, Appiah (YC 65', Kobayashi 69'), Lopez (goal 44'), Wright, Kasim, Avila (Hoffman 77'), Johnson (YC 57'), Laurent, Cromwell (Turner 57'), Culbertson, Hollinger-Janzen
Substitutes: Spangenberg, Holland, Kobayashi, Mabiala, Hoffman, Turner, Kucera
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 8, 2019
- United feels the sting of their first home loss in history - New Mexico United
- Kiesewetter Strikes Again, Team Leading 9th Goal in Six Matches Paces Locomotive to 3-0 Victory - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Indy Eleven Extends Undefeated Streak to Six After 3-0 Win at Memphis 901 FC - Indy Eleven
- Small's Brace Not Enough for Toros against Monarchs - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Real Monarchs SLC Claims 5-3 Victory over Rio Grande Valley FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Cameron Iwasa's brace helps Republic FC hand United their first home loss of the season - Sacramento Republic FC
- T2 Earn Road Point in 2-2 Draw against Austin Bold FC Saturday Night - Portland Timbers 2
- Switchbacks FC Earn Emphatic 3-0 Victory for Second Consecutive Win - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Memphis 901 FC Falls to Indy Eleven Saturday Night - Memphis 901 FC
- San Antonio FC Rallies at Home to Defeat Reno 1868 FC 3-2 - San Antonio FC
- Hounds Tie Ottawa, 2-2 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Legion FC Falls at Charleston Battery - Birmingham Legion FC
- Tacoma Defiance Loses 3-0 at Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - Tacoma Defiance
- Reno 1868 FC Can't Hold Lead, Fall 3-2 to San Antonio FC - Reno 1868 FC
- Bosua Leads Battery to Win over Birmingham - Charleston Battery
- North Carolina FC Hands League-Leading Tampa Bay First Loss of Season - North Carolina FC
- Loudoun United Fall to Louisville City, 2-1 - Loudoun United FC
- STLFC Falls 2-1 Away to Hartford Athletic - Saint Louis FC
- Fresno FC vs. OKC Energy FC Match Preview - Fresno FC
- Fury FC Continues on Unbeaten Run with 2-2 Draw in Pittsburgh - Ottawa Fury FC
- Independence Draw Rangers Among Controversy - Charlotte Independence
- Gameday: Rowdies Host North Carolina - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Nashville SC Looking Inward Ahead of Return to Action against Bethlehem Steel FC - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Hosts Nashville SC at McCarthy Stadium - Philadelphia Union II
- Phoenix Rising FC Improves to 11-0-0 on $1 Beer Night Following 5-0 Win - Phoenix Rising FC
- Roughnecks Lose 0-5 to Phoenix Rising - FC Tulsa
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.