Cameron Iwasa's brace helps Republic FC hand United their first home loss of the season
Albuquerque, N.M. - Cameron Iwasa scored either side of Matt Mahoney's headed strike to lead Sacramento Republic FC to a dominant 3-0 win in their first visit to New Mexico United. The result marks United's first loss at home and just their second loss overall this season.
Iwasa scored his first goal of the night in the 32nd minute after former Republic FC defender Justin Schmidt was deemed to have fouled him in the box. The Sacramento native stepped up to the spot and sent New Mexico's Cody Mizell the wrong way to coolly slot home and put Republic FC ahead 1-0. The goal marked the first time New Mexico trailed at halftime this season.
New Mexico nearly equalized in the 69th minute when Kenny Akamatsu found space inside the box to fire a powerful shot, but his effort struck the post.
Mahoney doubled Republic FC's advantage in the 77th minute, getting on the end of Ray Saari's cross at the far post to head home the visitor's second goal of the night.
Iwasa put the game out of reach in stoppage time. Stefano Bonomo set Drew Skundrich free on left wing and the latter dribbled toward the end line before laying off a ball to an onrushing Iwasa who struck on his first touch to complete Republic FC's resounding win.
The result marks Republic FC's third consecutive win across all competitions and lifts the club to sixth in the Western Conference. Next up for Sacramento is a Tuesday night clash against Major League Soccer's San Jose Earthquakes in the Fourth Round of the 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
Sacramento Republic FC 3-0 New Mexico United
USL Championship Match
Isotopes Park - Albuquerque, NM
June 8, 2019 - Attendance: 14,780
Scoring Summary: SAC - Cameron Iwasa (penalty) 32, Matt Mahoney (Ray Saari) 77, Cameron Iwasa (Drew Skundrich) 90+1.
Misconduct Summary: NM - Kevaughn Frater (caution) 35, Manny Padilla (caution 60), Juan Guzman (caution 62); SAC - Ray Sarri (caution 85).
Sacramento Republic FC - Josh Cohen; Shannon Gomez, Matt Mahoney, Haris Chantzopoulos, Jordan McCrary; Ray Saari, Jaime Villarreal (Mitchell Taintor 90+2), Drew Skundrich, Sam Werner (Hayden Partain 82), Villyan Bijev (Stefano Bonomo 73), Cameron Iwasa.
Subs Not Used: Rafael Díaz, Juan Barahona, Elliott Hord, Mario Penagos.
Stats - Shots: 11, Shots on Goal: 3, Saves: 3, Fouls: 11, Corner Kicks: 3, Offsides: 3.
New Mexico United - Cody Mizell, Rashid Tetteh, Justin Schmidt, Manny Padilla, Austin Yearwood, David Estrada (Santi Moar 46), Toni Soler (Juan Guzman 46), Kenny Akamatsu, Saalih Muhammad (Devon Sandoval 66), Ryan Williams, Kevaughn Frater.
Subs Not Used: Benjamin Beaury, Christopher Wehan, Sam Hamilton, Tommy Madden.
Stats - Shots: 8, Shots on Goal: 3, Saves: 0, Fouls: 18, Corner Kicks: 3, Offsides: 1.
Images from this story
Sacramento Republic FC surround New Mexico United
Sacramento Republic FC vs. New Mexico United
Sacramento Republic FC vs. New Mexico United
Sacramento Republic FC race in to challenge New Mexico United
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 8, 2019
- United feels the sting of their first home loss in history - New Mexico United
- Kiesewetter Strikes Again, Team Leading 9th Goal in Six Matches Paces Locomotive to 3-0 Victory - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Indy Eleven Extends Undefeated Streak to Six After 3-0 Win at Memphis 901 FC - Indy Eleven
- Small's Brace Not Enough for Toros against Monarchs - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Real Monarchs SLC Claims 5-3 Victory over Rio Grande Valley FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Cameron Iwasa's brace helps Republic FC hand United their first home loss of the season - Sacramento Republic FC
- T2 Earn Road Point in 2-2 Draw against Austin Bold FC Saturday Night - Portland Timbers 2
- Switchbacks FC Earn Emphatic 3-0 Victory for Second Consecutive Win - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Memphis 901 FC Falls to Indy Eleven Saturday Night - Memphis 901 FC
- San Antonio FC Rallies at Home to Defeat Reno 1868 FC 3-2 - San Antonio FC
- Hounds Tie Ottawa, 2-2 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Legion FC Falls at Charleston Battery - Birmingham Legion FC
- Tacoma Defiance Loses 3-0 at Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - Tacoma Defiance
- Reno 1868 FC Can't Hold Lead, Fall 3-2 to San Antonio FC - Reno 1868 FC
- Bosua Leads Battery to Win over Birmingham - Charleston Battery
- North Carolina FC Hands League-Leading Tampa Bay First Loss of Season - North Carolina FC
- Loudoun United Fall to Louisville City, 2-1 - Loudoun United FC
- STLFC Falls 2-1 Away to Hartford Athletic - Saint Louis FC
- Fresno FC vs. OKC Energy FC Match Preview - Fresno FC
- Fury FC Continues on Unbeaten Run with 2-2 Draw in Pittsburgh - Ottawa Fury FC
- Independence Draw Rangers Among Controversy - Charlotte Independence
- Gameday: Rowdies Host North Carolina - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Nashville SC Looking Inward Ahead of Return to Action against Bethlehem Steel FC - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Hosts Nashville SC at McCarthy Stadium - Philadelphia Union II
- Phoenix Rising FC Improves to 11-0-0 on $1 Beer Night Following 5-0 Win - Phoenix Rising FC
- Roughnecks Lose 0-5 to Phoenix Rising - FC Tulsa
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Republic FC, Boards for Change to Convert Empty Stands into Art Gallery for Good
- Republic FC, Raley's Partnership Grows With Jersey Sleeve Sponsorship
- Republic FC to Resume USL Season at Home on Monday, July 13
- Republic FC Sign Rafael Jauregui to USL Academy Contract
- In Case You Missed It: Republic FC to Resume 16-Game Season with New Regional Group Play