Bombers Rally For 5-4 Win Over Acadiana
Bryan-College Station, TX - The Brazos Valley Bombers(2-0) scored two runs in the final two innings en route to a 5-4 victory over the Acadiana Cane Cutters(0-2) and scored aseason opening series sweep.
"The goal coming over here was to get two victories," said Curtis Dixon, Bombers head coach. "Acadiana is a good club. We are going to be fighting out with them all summer long but the bullpen came in and did a good job."
G.R. Hinsley started the scoring for the Bombers with an RBI single. Hinsley, who led the TCL in RBI's last year, has three to start the young season.The Bombers scored two in the second thanks in part to Jimmy Norris's RBI single and an RBI double from Ford Moore. Norris and Moore combined for 5 of the Bombers 7 hits and each had an RBI and run scored.
"I didn't hit greatyesterday but I was seeing the ball well today and felt I could do what I wanted at the plate," said the UT-Dallas product Norris who went 3 for 3 with a double and a walk.I turned on a couple of pitches and got some base hits in some good spots."
Starting pitcher Mike Walker battled through five innings allowing four runs and striking out two.
The Bombers found themselves down one going into the 8th,but Tucker Pennell plated Hinsley to tie up the game going into the ninth. The Bombers loaded the bases to start the ninth and took the lead off a fielder's choice from Blake Kopetsky. The Bombers would only score one, but that was all they would need.
The bullpen would hurl four scoreless innings in a dominant performance from Zach Girrens (2.1 IP, 4 K), Nick Johnson (1-0) and Cannon Chadwick (SV). Chadwick, who earned the save last night, relieved Johnson in the bottom of the ninth with one out and proceeded to pick off Josh Garza at first and then fan Taylor Walker to end the game.
The undefeated Bombers continue their four game road trip with a visit to the Woodland Strykerson Saturday night at7:05 p.m. The Bombers will open their home schedule against the Cane Cutters onJune 3 at Cellucor Field. All Bombers games can be viewed online atwww.ustream.tv/channel/brazos-valley-bombers-baseball.
• Discuss this story on the Texas Collegiate League message board...
Texas Collegiate League Stories from May 30, 2014
- Bombers Rally to Secure Opening Series Win - Brazos Valley Bombers
- Bombers Rally For 5-4 Win Over Acadiana - Brazos Valley Bombers
- Marshals Defeat Pump Jacks 5-2 for First Win - Texas Marshals
- Cane Cutters Lose in Heartbreaking Fashion - Acadiana Cane Cutters
- Pump Jacks Open 2014 Season with a Victory - East Texas PumpJacks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Brazos Valley Bombers Stories
- Bombers Unveil Special Edition Logo for 15th Anniversary Season
- Bombers Announce Plans for the 2020 BooFest
- Bombers Welcome Bach Head Coach James Dillard for 2021 Season
- 2020 Brazos Valley Bombers Dominate TCL Post-Season Awards
- Bombers Book a Ticket to the Championship