Bocklet Brothers Lift Outlaws over Hounds
DENVER - The Charlotte Hounds came into Denver looking to hand the Outlaws their first loss of the season-the Bocklet brothers had different plans. Down 12-11 in the fourth quarter, Matt Bocklet wound up, shot and scored to tie the game. Just 50 seconds later, his younger brother Chris found twine to give the Outlaws the lead, as they went on to win, 13-11, Friday night at Sports Authority Field.
Charlotte got on the board first with a goal from John Haus, but Denver scored the next five goals en route to a six-point first quarter.
With just more than two minutes left in the first, John Grant Jr. cradled the ball by Charlotte's net, hesitated, then fired-behind his back without looking-to give him his second goal of the night and the Outlaws a 5-1 lead. Eric Law also scored a pair of goals in the first quarter to give Denver a 6-2 advantage heading into the second quarter.
The Hounds found the net four times in the second frame, but late goals from Grant and Law gave each player a hat trick before half time, and sent Charlotte to the locker room trailing, 9-6.
Cameron Flint was ready to get back on the field after the break. He netted a goal less than a minute into the second half, but then the Outlaws went dry for the rest of the quarter. The Hounds went on a 5-0 run, capped by a pair of two-point goals to give them an 11-10 lead with less than 10 minutes to play in the game. Then, the Bocklet brothers stepped in to tie the game, and eventually take the lead. Grant scored again late in the quarter for good measure-his fourth goal of the game.
Aside from marking the Outlaw's 25th straight regular-season victory, some individual players marked special occasions, too. Matt Bocklet picked up his 300th groundball in an Outlaws jersey and Anthony Kelly won his 1300th career faceoff.
Fresh out of college, Colin Dunster and Jeremy Noble made their MLL debuts. Dunster took his first career shot on goal, and Noble picked up his first two MLL points on a pair of assists, the first of which came on a first-quarter dish to his former University of Denver teammate, Eric Law.
The Outlaws return to action at home against the Charlotte Hounds on Saturday, June 7, 5:30 p.m. MDT.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Lacrosse message board...
Major League Lacrosse Stories from May 30, 2014
- Bocklet Brothers Lift Outlaws over Hounds - Denver Outlaws
- Hounds' Comeback Falls Short in Denver - Charlotte Hounds
- Charlotte Hounds Join Forces with GovX to Honor Military and First Responders - Charlotte Hounds
- Chesapeake Looks to Return to Winning Ways at Home Against Ohio - Chesapeake Bayhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Outlaws Stories
- Denver Outlaws Fall 19-15 to New York Lizards in Regular-Season Opener
- Denver Outlaws to Open 2018 Season on Saturday in New York
- Denver Outlaws Select Eight Players in the 2018 MLL Collegiate Draft
- Outlaws Sign Hawkins in Player Movement
- Denver Outlaws Fall in Week 8