Blue Crabs Cancel Daryl Thompson Invitational Youth Baseball Tournament
Waldorf, MD - The Southern Maryland Blue Crabs regretfully announced the cancellation of their First Annual Daryl Thompson Youth Baseball Tournament that was scheduled for September 2020.
In conjunction with Governor Larry Hogan's latest mandates on COVID-19, and due to the recent surge in COVID-19 cases, the Blue Crabs have decided to cancel their tournament out of an abundance of caution.
Given the rise in cases, the Blue Crabs fear that in hosting a tournament that would draw in teams from all over the east coast, the tournament could potentially endanger Southern Marylanders by bringing in groups from outside of Southern Maryland that may be infected with the virus.
All teams that have put down a deposit will be contacted and promptly reimbursed.
"After cancelling the season, we shifted our focus to giving back to the community, giving Southern Marylanders an outlet during this pandemic. We wanted to give back to our youth and bring baseball to our community, but we will not do that if there is an increased risk of endangering that very same community," said Blue Crabs General Manager, Courtney Knichel.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from July 31, 2020
- Blasters Edge Patriots 3-2 - Somerset Patriots
- Astros Purchase Contract of Veteran Reliever Fernando Rodney - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Blue Crabs Cancel Daryl Thompson Invitational Youth Baseball Tournament - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Southern Maryland Blue Crabs Stories
- Blue Crabs Announce Halloween Event with Trick or Treating, Pumpkin Painting, Disney's Coco
- Blue Crabs to Host Youth Fall League
- Blue Crabs Announce Disney's Moana as Family Movie Night on September 25th
- Blue Crabs Cancel Daryl Thompson Invitational Youth Baseball Tournament
- Blue Crabs Announce More Community Summer Showcase Events