Blizzard DL Odell Willis Wins af2 Weekly Award
Green Bay Blizzard DL Odell Willis has been named the ADT Defensive Player of the Week for his performance in Week 17 against the Louisville Fire. The Blizzard defeated the Fire 33-20 to take sole possession of first place in the Midwest Division.
Willis' recorded six tackles, five sacks for a loss of 37 yards, two safeties, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and one quarterback hurry. Willis' five sacks is a new single game franchise record. The record was previously held by DL Jason Hardee with three sacks in 2007.
In his two games with the Blizzard, after being acquired from the Peoria Pirates, Willis has seven tackles, six sacks, two safeties, three forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and one quarterback hurry. Willis has joined a defense that is currently ranked first in the af2 in total defense (205.9 yards/game), pass defense (185.9 yards/game) and sacks (52). The defense is second in the league in defensive passing efficiency (74.6) and third in scoring defense (39.7.
The Green Bay Blizzard travel to Youngstown, Ohio, where they will take on the Mahoning Valley Thunder on Saturday, July 26, 2008. Kickoff is set for 6:05pm CST. With a Blizzard win, the team will clinch the Midwest Division Championship and host a first round playoff game on Friday, August 1, 2008.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from July 24, 2008
- Coach's Corner 7/24/08 - Texas Copperheads
- Wranglers Take Time Off From Football To Help Out Their Community - Austin Wranglers
- Blizzard DL Odell Willis Wins af2 Weekly Award - Green Bay Blizzard
- Denney Earns Schutt Offensive Player of the Week Honors - Arkansas Diamonds
- Week 18: Quick Hitters - af2
- Week 18: Friday Night Matchup - af2
- 2008 af2 Playoff Scenarios Things we know heading into Week 18 - Tulsa Talons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.